Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight high costs .... why? >

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:25 PM

There is simply no substitute for good quality and because these machines have, in many cases, been running continuously for 80 years, they have a great following for people who just want to sew straight. The fact that the machine, accessories and case in such a small package, is just a bonus. If you need to store it, it doesn't even take up a whole shelf in most cabinets, and if you're carrying it to another room, you're happy it's so light. This is the main reason they have become so popular with quilters...simply because many quilters take classes and have to cart their machine, fabric and miscellaneous supplies to different locations. Add that to the fact that the majority of women carting them around and hoisting them on and off tables are older than we used to be and that means a lot of good reasons for the small, lightweight, but incredibly strong little machines. No one is holding a gun to your head...if you don't want to spend that much money for a small machine, then don't do it...but surely you can understand why many of us love them. I took my sister's Featherweight to Europe when my husband and I were stationed there in the '60's and I produced everything from curtains to maternity clothing to a tent made from marine canvas purchased from the Army surplus store. It came in rolls 3' wide by 12' long and was so heavy that my husband had to roll them up and hold 2 of them behind me, helping to guide over my shoulders so I could place into the machine....we had a pup-tent style tent that was 9 x 12 and about 5' high inside....completely weatherproof, and all assembled on the Featherweight...and that machine (one of 5 that I own)
is still running just fine today.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Banned

I am pretty sure most folks around here would agree that Singer 221's are well made machines. Solid and reliable (if not a little bobbin Finicky..)

I think the question was more about why they sell for usually double, and occasionally triple compared to a machine like a 301 or 99 (equal in quality and better in strength) that is SO close in size and weight as to be not (seemingly) worth the difference in price.

In my experience, most folks seem to be far more excited about having them than using them....
Old 09-22-2014, 01:59 PM

My DH paid much more than $200 for the one that he bought for me as a surprise. He said he bought it - his words - "to shut me up". Because all I could talk about was wanting a Featherweight. It had a bobbin in it, was threaded and when I plugged it in for the first time it just took off and purred. I never griped about how much he paid for it.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM

I bought my wife one for because she'd been telling me about them for as long as we've been married. Didn't pay as much as I've seen many go for, but I did pay more than I thought it was worth as a machine. OK, I've used it some but wifie hasn't used it hardly at all. It just sits in it's case languishing in despair and loneliness.
As good as the machine is quality wise, it doesn't impress me. It's too small, too light, and doesn't have the ability to do much more than piece fabric together. Maybe that's enough, but I want my machines to do more, or at least be able to.

If I am understanding what all of you are saying it's mostly the older ladies that are into cliques and quilting and go to the get-to-gethers that are keeping the prices inflated.

OK, question answered.

Joe
Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 PM

I don't remember how much I paid for my FW (have to look that up), but I felt it was reasonable a couple of years ago. I am going to type up a paper on each of my machines for the next generation's benefit. IMHO it's the"WOW" factor. You just can't beat the cuteness factor. I love my 301's and they are my first go to. My FW has a place on display on top of a cabinet in our bedroom. Love having a cute miniature horse too, even if she's not as versatile as the larger horses. Who can resist "cute?"
Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
the 301s are super expensive now too
not around here
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM

my first vintage machine was a 301 and I love sewing on it. it got put aside for whatever reason then it was fw then just my modern machine for a long time..now I'm back to the vintage along with the newer ones - just whatever appeals to me. out of all my machnes my favorites for taking to sew-ins and such are my janome harmony 8080, fw, and 301 would also be a good choice for me. of all 3 the fw is the cutest IMO. if I'm doing something that I want needle up/down for I take the janome...machine applique I take the Janome...just piecing I take the fw now and may take a 301 once I get it spruced up. if I know a bunch of fw quilters will be where I'm going I'll likely take the fw and sew along with them...so far I've only seen one person sewing with a 301- and she had hers painted metallic purple.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM

oh - my 99 is too heavy for me to tote around...I toted it to the dining room table and just can't see taking it unless for some reason the fw or 301 are too light to handle something and since I've only been piecing I can't imagine that being the case....about to try machine quilting though and been eyeing the 99 for that...
Old 09-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
As good as the machine is quality wise, it doesn't impress me. It's too small, too light, and doesn't have the ability to do much more than piece fabric together. Maybe that's enough, but I want my machines to do more, or at least be able to.
Joe
My mom was brutal with her FW. She sewed everything with that thing and to the FW's credit it managed somehow. LINK: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html She got a new machine a few years ago and can't remember how to use it. My sister and I cleaned up the FW and she can sort of remember how to use it once in a blue moon. She's 88. That said, they are not my favorite machine to use or work on. I think there are better machines out there on both counts and not all of them say SINGER.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
compared to a machine like a 301 or 99 (equal in quality and better in strength) that is SO close in size and weight as to be not (seemingly) worth the difference in price.
That's not my experience with the 99. My recollection is that they weigh about twice as much as the 221. Don't have a 99 any longer but I think it was a smidge under 11kg (10.7 is ringing a bell here), and the 221 is maybe 5kg.
Having a drop in bobbin means the 99 wouldn't be much good for free motion work either.