Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight high costs .... why? >

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 AM

If it's a fad, it sure is going on a lot longer than the Pet Rock! Lol!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 AM

Joe,

FW's are like a Pandora bracelet, they are fashionable. You can carry it around and show it off. They are lightweight and they sew great for piecing. That's the whole story and I am sticking to it.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Sewing machine prices are always interesting to me. When I look at the prices I pay-I haven't paid more than $25 for a machine yet-I'm actually a little bit saddened by the incredibly low value people put on them. You have to pay way more to get any sort of quality machine today and frankly most new machines aren't as well built at any price. There may be an all metal one out there, I don't know. The bigger question may not be "Why are featherweights priced so high?" but instead "Why are most used sewing machines priced so low?". They may not have all the bells and whistles of the newer machines but with just minimal care they are fully capable of still sewing long after the best of the new ones become landfill. There are examples of early machines approaching 150 yrs old that will still sew.
Rant over
Rodney
Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM

I agree with Glenn. I bought a Featherweight because of nostalgia. It was the first electric sewing machine I sewed on as my first sewing was on a Singer treadle. I took my first sewing lessons at a Singer store in town and we had to sew on an electric sewing machine. So, I think my mother thought we should have a modern machine. I do prefer my 301 over the 221 though.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:25 AM

I have one...but didn't spend anywhere near those prices. Mine cost me around $60...about 15 years ago. I like the machine, but it is too slow for my craft sewing...but works wonderful (just like my other vintage machines) when I want to piece a quilt.

I guess the reason it was so popular to begin with is that it was one of the original portable sewing machines and it didn't weigh 50 pounds.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 AM

I'm not a collector.And mine was given to me.I wanted it because I take classes and these travel well and are work horses.But mostly people want them because someone has one and they don't.Ya know how people are.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM

I have one because I am a collector of vintage sewing machines. Period. I don't sew on it. I prefer the 301, treadles and my modern Bernina 440QE for sewing.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM

And the newest thing is to get one repainted in your favorite color.

OH yes so true! I have 2 black FW's and 3 repainted ones, blue, green and hot pink, and I really love them, and I sure paid for them, no great deals, but at the time not a problem. I like the color it give my room, they just make me happy.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
............ they just make me happy.
That's the best reason of all.
Rodney
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM

I too, think it is just a fad now. Same with me - when I first heard of them, I ended up with 11 - not at those prices, though. All needed rehabbing and cleaning (which I did myself) and I've sold them all but 3. Also ended up with 5 of the 301's for the same reason. I've decided to keep a black FW and a white one and a black 301 in the #42 cabinet and a tan one and sell the rest. I have a 404 that sews great, a little green 185J and my mother-in-law's treadle, plus an Athena I don't like - plus a new Brother so I could have the gizmo's I need. I plan to sell most of these and get a new Janome with the gadgets I don't have.