Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight high costs .... why? >

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Featherweight high costs .... why?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Featherweight high costs .... why?

I know, this is an old many time rehashed subject but my wife an I were going through the sewing machines on Shopgoodwill.com and currently there are 11 Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machines on auction.

On an average there are more Featherweights up on auction than any other single machine with the exception of the 66/99s and the clones.

They are not rare. There can't be that many collectors.

I fail to see what is keeping the prices so high for these silly little machines.

I don't know, I have a different value system than most I guess. Maybe somebody can 'splain it to me.

Joe
Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

I'm staying out of this. The last time I publicly voiced my opinion on this very question I was almost thrown out of a group and my email was blown up with hate mail.

Cari
Old 09-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

I giggle every time i see a 221 for over $200. seems to be "accepted" rather than actual value.

I have a friend who's mom owns 7 and she is sure that they will be able to be sold for $350 minimum each...
Old 09-22-2014, 12:20 PM

It's a fad, plain and simple. If you quilt and go to meetings, someone there is going to have one, and it becomes a status thing, and you just have not "arrived" with your quilting group until you have your own FW. However this "fad" has been going on for many, many years and probably won't end any time soon - though the prices of FW's have come down substantially from the high several years ago.

And the newest thing is to get one repainted in your favorite color.

Also keep in mind - there are a lot of quilt shops out there selling fabric at $10- $15 a yard, and there are plenty of quilters out there that don't blink an eye at those prices. Seriously - paying $200- $300 for a nice, no plastic, easily portable sewing machine is not a bad deal.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM

I paid more than $200 for my 2 - the cheapest was the one I inherited from my mom. I love the old machines and between my mom and I - well she got the bargains which I now have. She actually typed up stuff on most of her machines - and I was shocked to see $12 for a singer 500 (and pretty sure it works - maybe not the best but I think all of hers either worked so-so or she and my dad fiddled with them until they did. me? I hardly bat an eye at $100 for almost any working machine - if it's one I really want probably wouldn't bat an eye at $200 - though thanks to my mom I pretty much have most of anything I could think of. still missing the 306, 319 and handcranks and treadles...but the featherweights are really popular with the quilters - one bee almost everyone has one - think I wasonly one of 3 without mine. even one of my besties pulled hers out earlier this year and got it spruced up and has been sewing on it. inspired me to do the same LOL! and I love it! easy to carry around and simple to use plus stitches awesome.
so yep a lot of quilters shellng out $12 plus a yard for fabric don't bat an eye at a $300 fw and a lot are selling for more esp centennials. what gets me is the appeal of the white/green ones- I've never seen one in person that didn't looked dinged up - not even that wild about the tan ones though I'd grab one if the price were right - almost bought one for $500 but decided I didn't like it enough for anywhere near that price thank goodness! now i"m sorta on the hunt for nice cabinets to home some of my fave machines that are too heavy to tote around
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 PM

You're just looking to stir things up, aren't you.
I can't explain it either Joe. For far less than half the price and only 4 more pounds give or take you can have a 301 with more work area and just as good of performance. Although they're popular too, they don't seem to have the wow factor of the featherweights.
But then I never really have gone with the crowd on most things. I like being different.
Rodney
Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM

I have to agree with it's a fad. People like little things, they are cute and the Featherweight comes in it's own little carrier. Honestly for me, a sewing machine is worth the price you want to pay for it. You consider what you want, how many or how often they are available and how badly you want it. Then you set your own price.

For me, I decided mine would have to be under 200.00 and I was not wanting to adopt a complete wreck, so I had to wait for just the right situation.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:00 PM

meant to add a lot of quilters back when I started about 13 yrs ago were buying those janome gems and I think those ran $300 or so and IMO are awful :-( so a few for $300 ro $350 was a bargain

the 301s are super expensive now too
Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM

I bought mine for $200 when it was 2 years old. At the time the salesman said, "you can always get this much on a trade-in later on. Well, I guess he was right about that.lol I sewed everything from baby clothes to leather carseats with that machine, but honestly, I was thrilled when I could get a bigger machine that didn't move around on the table. I read about what a perfect stitch it has, how easy to maintain, etc., and I would agree with everyone, but I still don't see why it is so popular. I still have mine, but I haven't sewn on it for 35 years, I'd much rather use my Janome with lots of pretty stitches and easy buttonhole maker.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM

They ARE really cute, but as someone who is "new" to the world of vintage sewing machines, I think there are a lot of other machines that are much more interesting looking and probably sew just as well.

I get caught up in fads sometimes, and at my guild classes someone always has their FW out so I wanted one for a little bit too, but every time I thought about actually having one I realized I didn't actually want to use it. Yes it's small and portable, but I bought a modern small/portable machine that does way more than a FW can...so why would I need a FW too?

I'm glad I know about them, so if I see one at a garage sale for ten bucks I'll know it's worth it. But barring a killer deal like that...nah. Not for me. Adorable...but not for me.

(I DO like the custom-painted ones, but again...I'd probably rather get a more interesting-looking machine custom-done. )