View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM
quilt938

I paid more than $200 for my 2 - the cheapest was the one I inherited from my mom. I love the old machines and between my mom and I - well she got the bargains which I now have. She actually typed up stuff on most of her machines - and I was shocked to see $12 for a singer 500 (and pretty sure it works - maybe not the best but I think all of hers either worked so-so or she and my dad fiddled with them until they did. me? I hardly bat an eye at $100 for almost any working machine - if it's one I really want probably wouldn't bat an eye at $200 - though thanks to my mom I pretty much have most of anything I could think of. still missing the 306, 319 and handcranks and treadles...but the featherweights are really popular with the quilters - one bee almost everyone has one - think I wasonly one of 3 without mine. even one of my besties pulled hers out earlier this year and got it spruced up and has been sewing on it. inspired me to do the same LOL! and I love it! easy to carry around and simple to use plus stitches awesome.
so yep a lot of quilters shellng out $12 plus a yard for fabric don't bat an eye at a $300 fw and a lot are selling for more esp centennials. what gets me is the appeal of the white/green ones- I've never seen one in person that didn't looked dinged up - not even that wild about the tan ones though I'd grab one if the price were right - almost bought one for $500 but decided I didn't like it enough for anywhere near that price thank goodness! now i"m sorta on the hunt for nice cabinets to home some of my fave machines that are too heavy to tote around