Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight machines holding value >

Featherweight machines holding value

Featherweight machines holding value

Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 AM

Default Featherweight machines holding value

It appears some Featherweights are still holding their value. A booth at the quilt show in Maine had two for sale for $450. I'd love to get my money back on the one I bought for around that price.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Prices vary for a FW being sold by a private party and someone professionally selling at a quilt show. Value is based on the condition of the machine along with accessories.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 AM

did they sell them at that price? From watching on eBay the last several years, they are holding around $250-$300 unserviced. Fully cleaned and serviced adds around $100 to the cost, but many people won't pay that because they can clean and service them themselves.

However if a person with $$$ that never goes on eBay decides they want one, dropping $450 is nothing.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

My take on it is where there's a seat, someone will sit in it eventually, whether they have good sense or not. I held out and mine found me for $50 and I know people who have gotten theirs for less than that.

Cari
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM

Yes, the gentleman that found mine for me only wanted $25. I paid him $40. Proviso was that I was not planning to re-sell...and I haven't. It's a great machine for classes and travel. Good deals CAN be had if you are willing to be patient.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM

I REALLY do not see what is so special about them. They are not light to carry around and a couple of the gals bring them to quilt guild and usually have problems with them, they seem to be tempermental
Old 08-01-2016, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I REALLY do not see what is so special about them. They are not light to carry around and a couple of the gals bring them to quilt guild and usually have problems with them, they seem to be tempermental
I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I have two and while it took me a long time to find them I didn't pay all that much. $150 and $40. Neither one is temperamental. I have to remember to hold the thread tails when I start sewing but they are great to take to a class or sew-in at the quilt store. I can clean and oil them myself.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 AM

When you hold out and find them for those low prices, where do you look? I'd love to find one like that but eBay is only place I've found.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM

Check Craig's list. Most I've seen have been selling for $300=$400. Might be cheaper in your area.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM
mac

Funny thing about finding a Featherweight, I held out for a very long time wanting to find one at a garage sale for $25 like several of my other friends did. Never did find one like that - unfortunately. Then I went on this site:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/sewing/singer

and bought one on EBay for $225 (including the shipping cost). A few years later, I bought my next one at an estate sale for $95; and the next two I bought from the same lady who was "just tired of having so many sewing machines," for $50 each.

To me, the moral of the story is that once you have one, the others just follow as easy as pie. I don't know why that is. I gave one of them to my friend and I still have 3. One I keep in my car at all times to take to classes and to the senior center where I sew on Tuesdays. One I use at home and the other one is my spare.

I am not planning on selling any of them, I just love them so much. Their stitch is perfect, I can clean and service them myself (for the most part) and just one more strange thing, when I am sitting in front of them and sewing, I don't feel like I have a big behemoth in front of my face. I know that sounds strange, but the Featherweight just seems so dainty.

Yes, I am in love.