Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Wiring Question

Featherweight Wiring Question

This is my most recent Featherweight purchase. Her serial number is AF941450. According to the ISMAC dating site http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html she should be a model 15. Not! The Featherweight 221 book authored by Nancy Johnson-Srebo gives the production dates of mid 1938 to mid 1941. I also know that it was not uncommon for Singer to allot a range of serial numbers for one model then run another model number. So I am going to go for an allotment date of 14 May 1941.

This Featherweight and her case are really, really clean for her age. The case handle is nigh on perfect. I did replace the drip pad which was smelly of course. All she needs is some surface cleaning.

I do have a question about the motor wiring which has some white stuff (efflouresence?sp) on it. It is the first time I have seen it. Is it a problem? Otherwise the wiring is what I would term excellent.

There was quite a little collection of parts in the case top including a "what is it" in the last picture. The red seam ripper has the name Necchi on it. Is the silver bar thing also a Necchi part of some sort?
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Sweet Caroline

I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to say that I think you have a lovely machine!

Quote Originally Posted by harrishs View Post
    I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to say that I think you have a lovely machine!
    Yes, I purchased this Featherweight sight unseen as a package deal with four other sewing machines which included an Elna Supermatic, a Singer model 15 in a cabinet, a Singer 127 Sphinx and the Singer 27 with the crinkle finish. What I really wanted was the Elna. All five sewing machines cost $300. I guess I did OK except for the 27 crinkle finish.
    Sweet Caroline

Pictures of the wiring would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Pictures of the wiring would help.
    Here it is, fuzzy white stuff on wiring Will try to get a clearer pic if needed
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sweet Caroline

Caroline,

By the looks of the speckles all over the area I'd guess it's either mold or corrosion. A better pic would help.

I do know our Featherweight has cloth covered wires underneath, but nothing like yours has.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Caroline,

By the looks of the speckles all over the area I'd guess it's either mold or corrosion. A better pic would help.

I do know our Featherweight has cloth covered wires underneath, but nothing like yours has.

Joe
    Better pic tomorrow. I am thinking corrosion. That is the only area that shows the white stuff. All of the other wiring appears to be OK. I will do some light brushing on that wiring and do a before and after pic.
    Sweet Caroline

Mine has that. my dh said it is oxidation on the Aluminum that covers the wire. He was thinking it was there to keep the wire out of the gears. I took mine outside and brushed it off, and have had no problems.

Here's a little bit about it on this blog. Sounds like you might find out more on rains blog. And I guess it's lead, not aluminum like my dh was thinking.
    http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...221-motor.html

If it is lead then that is lead oxide and it is toxic. Do not breath or ingest it. Wear a face mask and gloves when you clean it. Probably a good idea to shellac it after cleaning it.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast