Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Feet Fetish, or is it 'Fetishes'? >

Feet Fetish, or is it 'Fetishes'?

Feet Fetish, or is it 'Fetishes'?

Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Default Feet Fetish, or is it 'Fetishes'?

This is to all the vintage sewing machine folks, and the people who collect, study, and promote all the bits and bobs and accessories and feet that go with the machines - yes; you know who you are - YOU have corrupted me. Yes, I place the blame squarely before your feet, and I Thank You from the bottom of my heart!

I'm still tweaking the Singer Fashion Mate 252 I bought I 1975. I have learned there were two versions of this machine made during its short run, one in 1971 and one in 1974.

Their Instructions Manuals are nearly the same, except for the copyright dates on the inside covers; the diagrams and attachments of the bobbin cases are different between the two versions. The '71 came with three metal feet; the '74 came with one metal and two plastic feet. There is a difference in a gear on the bottom part of the machines, also.

I have a paper copy of the 1974 version and a PDF of the 1971 version. It was while I was comparing each page of each manual (do ya think I need to get a hobby?) that the differences finally became apparent.

Any, I've found, purchased, and been given several of the original parts, along with other feet that will fit my Singer 15-91.

Here's how I have organized them. I also have two rufflers, an adjustable hemmer, a tucker, and couple other oversize parts that won't fit in this Plano box, but for now, this works.

I love my Brother P-Touch Labeler, too!
Attached Thumbnails case-2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM

I had so much fun cleaning and sorting everything.
Attached Thumbnails case-3.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM

I also found the original brown box and some of the parts that would have come with my machine. I now have an extra Feed Cover Throat Plate, Part # 171285.
Attached Thumbnails dsc06385-640x480-.jpg  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Ah, I just love it when someone combines 2 of my favorite fetishes, vsm's and organizing! I have plano boxes for attachments, too. I never thought of labeling...much easier than getting out the reference book!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM

My footsies are not that well organized. But I do have them in plastic segmented boxes. I have all sorts of them, some I don't even know what they fit.

I'm not overly concerned about part numbers though, as long as the foot works properly.

Joe
Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Very nice! My daughter was just given an original accessory box with some of the attachments to go with her 401A. I'll be doing something similar as I find the appropriate feet to fill it for her. I won't go to the same trouble you did to match all the numbers though.
Rodney
Old 11-04-2015, 04:12 PM

I know everyone cleans them differently, so would you mind sharing your method? I have some that are so bad I have purchased a vibrating drum and jewelry cleaner. Have not used them yet. I also have Evaporust an many types of metal cleaners.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 PM

I have the same problem with my 221. I have a collection of 3 original Rotary boxes with many different feet and accessories. I am in the process of trying to find out which goes with what machine. I too have a box similar to yours. I don't know which originally came with the machine. I am still trying to sort and label each. I too must have a feet fetish for my machine.
I also have a brother, not an older machine, that I organize my feet in a similar box.
As far a cleaning the feet, I have not gotten to that point. But when someone has a way of cleaning these feet please let me know.