Fifth generation sewist

Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
My 4 yo DGD (with my help) made quilted crayon with drawing pad books, drawstring bags, and bookmarks for her 3 friends for Christmas. She actually did most of the sewing because it was all straight seams and turned corners. I have an embroidery machine, so I embroidered their names on them before she sewed them together. We used bottomweights for the outer layer, W&N scrap batting, and fat quarters for the inside. They came out really cute. I found the crayon book instructions online by googling kids sewing projects. Oh, this is Arizona so we used colored pencils and put a pencil sharpener in the bags. DGD was so thrilled to give gifts that she made.
That's really nice, she did a good job!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 AM

How great, can't beat the old machines.

I learned to sew on my grandmothers old white, non electric. Our Sr? Center has an old machine converted to electricity and the want to get rid of it. It will out last all the new ones. So nice to see some one so young even wanted to sew. They don't teach that in schools out there any more.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

*** Apron
*** School tote bag
*** I know he will think of something.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM

I think he could manage pajama bottom type lounge pants.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Pillowcase

I just finished making 16 flannel pillowcase for some cold Marines in Afganistan and Flannel sticks together well, so it might be easier for him to handle. Takes 1 yd.
Donna

[ QUOTE=thrillhouse;6550213]This is my youngest boy, sewing on his great-great grandmother's 27-4. He will be 8 years old in a couple of weeks, the machine is 111 years old made in 1903. My heart fills with joy to see him sewing. He has a really good feel for treadling. He wants to sew big things but we started out small just working with scraps of fabric, practicing turning corners and making nice straight lines. Last night he made a book mark for his older brother and there is a quilt show coming up here in March that I will take him to. I think he would enjoy quilting. Any other ideas for small projects a child could make with help?

If only we were all so cute sewing in our jammies.
[/QUOTE]
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I think he could manage pajama bottom type lounge pants.
That's my suggestion, too. They don't have to fit perfectly and most of the seams are straight. There is so much cute flannel out there, I'm sure he will find some he likes.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM

I introduced my 'grands' to sewing with a big 4 patch quilt. They were so proud when it was done. After it was sandwiched and bound, they used the decorative stitches on the machine to quilt it. It was such fun!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM

Oh, what fun! My DGS is also 8 and for four years I have been bringing one of my vintage sewing machines with me when we visit. His first question is always "are you bringing your sewing machine"?

He has made an apron (we made our own pattern using newpaper), a small quilt with 9 blocks for his kitty cat, and a pincushion. He loves sewing on paper without thread, following lines I have drawn. He practices pivoting constantly and is quite good. Next time we are together I am planning to have him make a pillow case and to begin on making a small lap quilt to show at fair this coming summer. So many things with straight lines... pillows, bags for toys or things to collect when outside, shorts, even simple long pants.

Have fun! He sure is.