Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A find of a lifetime, a free Pfapp 130 >

A find of a lifetime, a free Pfapp 130

A find of a lifetime, a free Pfapp 130

Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM

Talking A find of a lifetime, a free Pfapp 130

"Free sewing machine, not working. Need gone ASAP."

It was only supposed to be a quick check of Craig's List before my boyfriend and I went to Fort Collins for lunch and to look at a few shops, but that listing caught my attention. A free sewing machine will always get my attention, but the three pictures are what really did it. Two of the cabinet. One of the machine resting inside, a black shape hiding in a dark nook in a dark picture, but unmistakenly an old cast iron. And a Pfaff sticker on the cabinet top.

I replied immediately, and less than two hours latter my wonderful boyfriend and I where squeezing the whole cabinet into the back seat. We hadn't looked at her closely at first 'cause I'll take an old Pfaff in almost any shape so it was only after we got her home that I had time to lift her up and my heart melted - a beautiful 130, a machine I've been dreaming about.

And I mean Beautiful! The decals are very nearly perfect, the japaning is so glossy, and the crome just gleams! There was the usual lint and the gears seemed a little dry, but the needle moves like silk when you turn the handwheel. Even the belt and bobbin winder tire look pretty good!

The motor looks like it's in good shape with no sign of malfunction, but my boyfriend did notice that the wiring seems loose in some of the conections. I also later found the bobbin thread had snarled. Hella thick thread, too, almost twine. Either the wires or snarl could have been why she was "not working."

Since she was fairly clean, I mostly just washed the gunkier spots with a little soap and water, gave her a quick wipe down with a little rubbing alcohol to kill the other people cooties, and oiled her up. Also found a manual for her for free online. I haven't stitched with her yet as I still need to clean around the hook race and inside the stitch width mechanism - all the scres for those are being stuborn.

Also still to do:
Clean the petrified tape off the needle plate.
Clean the cabinet.
Clean the electric cables and around the motor mount.
Check the motor and electronics.
Convert the knee control to foot control.
Make spool pin felts.
Replace the spool pin arm.
Get some more good bobbins (she came with just one and apparently new ones aren't as precise as the originals.)
Get a darning foot and a satin stitch foot (all of mine are rotary feet.)
Take lots of pictures and tell you guys all about her.
Sew up a storm!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547562[/ATTACH]

Her name is Grazielinda (gra-tsay-lind-a), meaning "Beautiful Serpent" after the scale pattern on her back plate & hand wheel clutch knob and because she's soooo beautiful! And she wanted a name that started with 'G' or 'J,' but of course that was just me thinking that, because I don't talk to my sewing machines. Of course not. *cough*
Attached Thumbnails sam_5139.jpg  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:32 PM

you are one lucky lady and such a wonderful machine. Good luck, sew with her often.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:13 AM

Just realized I misspelled Pfaff in the title. *facepalm* Does anyone know how to edit the title of a thread?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
Just realized I misspelled Pfaff in the title. *facepalm* Does anyone know how to edit the title of a thread?

I think that is the "I am excited about this" spelling
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I think that is the "I am excited about this" spelling
Yes. That is exactly what I'm blaming because I am VERY excited At the same time, I wouldn't mind an admin fixing it, it's really quite embarassing, like I don't respect the maker's of my new baby.

And what the mess-up does spell...
Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Beautiful!

Watson
Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

It's gorgeous and I love the cabinet. Hard to get much better than free to start.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Fabulous!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM

That is a lovely machine - what a find! I'm going to be in Greeley Friday - Thursday and will hope to find some amazing deals as well. Problem is, I'm flying in. I wonder how much room my brother has left in his garage!! Tee hee!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
It's gorgeous and I love the cabinet. Hard to get much better than free to start.
My boyfriend is very fond of the cabinet, too. You both have good taste! It's very sturdy and made out of a heavy plywood that would suvive nuclear war (clearly, this was meant double as a bomb shelter. 'Duck and cover' might have actually worked under this!) and he and I kinda like the '50s mod style handles. I see bit of an art deco influence in them. So despite it's obvious lack of treadling it's probably a keeper. But where are we going to put it?!? We already have too much furnature. Maybe it'll replace my computer desk?

If we keep it for long I'll probably refinish it, some sections of the wood verner are broken off and missing in back and several places could do with a sanding. I'd like change the color too, perhaps an inky black brown like some of our other furnature, or maybe cherry. And of course I'd keep the Pfaff seal! If the handles are brass plating over zink or steel, I'll probably polish them down to the zinc and go with black. Black and silver look so good together! Also the drawers don't fit well with each other and I need to see if rearanging them helps.

Last edited by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon; 04-11-2016 at 09:26 AM.