Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FMQ - Which machine would be better to use -- Singer 301A or Singer 403A

I found some info on how to use a walking foot on a 301 here: quiltingcrossroads.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
    I found some info on how to use a walking foot on a 301 here: quiltingcrossroads.blogspot.com

You don't need a WF for a 301, just lower the pressure on the presser foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    The Slant Machines are not good FMQ IMHO, look for a 15-91. I'm with Blackberry
    Dan, my 15 clone wouldn't FMQ well at all. The first 301 has done anything I've thrown at it including currently straight lines close together with no walking foot. I haven't tried the other 301 yet. When my 301 had an plug problem, the machine that would FMQ was a 1940s Necchi (vertical bobbin like the 301s and 15s.)

I love my 301s for FMQ. I have 3, and am able to switch between machines if the foot pedal gets too hot. I also like it for free form FMQ (no patterns or templates). Great fun. I use my Husqvarna with a walking foot for straight-stitch quilting.
    "Find Joy in the Journey"
    U..U, =^..^=, =^..^=

I don't know about the 301, bot the 400s are terrible for FMQing. I have a 1951 15-91 that I love for FMQ work. I picked her up at an estate sale for $75, complete with a gorgeous cabinet, stool and tons of accessories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2