Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
iPad mini w/retina display or Kindle HDX-which would be better for quilter? >

iPad mini w/retina display or Kindle HDX-which would be better for quilter?

iPad mini w/retina display or Kindle HDX-which would be better for quilter?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Default iPad mini w/retina display or Kindle HDX-which would be better for quilter?

I have a MacBook that I love and would like to purchase something smaller and more portable. Would like some quilting related apps, ability to read ebooks and watch occasional movies or quilt shows. The Kindle is $249 and the new iPad is $399. Quite a difference in price. Do you own either of these devices and what do you think? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I think someone would have to own both to compare them. I have an iPad 2 which I love. I can use it for QB and posting pictures. I have some apps for games and MSQC. It does not have a USB port and isn't for writing large documents in my opinion. It suits my needs as I also have a main computer.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

The 7" Kindle Fire will be on sale at Staples for $79 for a Black Friday deal:
http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesS...aples-131128BF

Not sure if they will offer it online as well as in stores, and it's probably not the one you were looking at, but it might be worth the investment to try out.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:07 AM

I agree with tartan. I have an iPad 2 and I love love love it.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM

It's such a personal decision. I chose the Nook HD+ for my tablet because the iPad doesn't take sd cards so you are limited to your memory. Mine with a 2 yr warranty was around 200 and even cheaper now. I'm not sure if I'd like the retina display. My laptop has the one that has facial recognition and it only worked part of the time so I disabled it. I'd rather put in a password.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 PM

I have the Kindle Fire HD (not the newest one), but I love it. I read, do email, facebook, internet, watch videos. The picture is bright and clear, sound is in stereo. If it broke, I'd buy another one immediately. I bought a Nook and much prefer my Kindle. The iPad's are nice (my 3 year old granddaughter has her own-she took over her dad's), but I still prefer my Kindle after using her iPad.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 AM

I am falling out of love with my iPad and kindles. Why because they cannot attach items in them. Saving for a small laptop which will do the above but which I can attach USB port items or a DVD. One machine only.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

I have the Kindle HD 8.9" (not the newest one - last year's model) and I love it. I read all my magazines on my Kindle now, use apps, play games, and stream movies and TV. Using a very inexpensive cord, I can hook it up to my HD television and stream anything (including my Craftsy classes) to watch on the bigger TV screen. I'm addicted to my Kindle.

I don't use it for e-mail and do only minor web surfing on it, though. For that I use my laptop.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I still haven't decided yet but I'm leaning toward the iPad mini. One of the reasons I'm leaning this way are the iPad apps in the iTunes store that I can either get for free or purchase. Here are a few: Quiltography, Blockfab HD, Schmetz, Quilt Studio, Missouri Star Quilts. The new Kindle Fire HDX has excellent speakers, great viewing screen and good price. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 PM
QKO

Most apps that are available for ipad are also available for Android devices such as the Kindle Fire. So that's kind of a non-issue.

If money isn't a concern, you might want to consider the integration with your Apple computer and, if you have one, an iphone.

One of the reasons I went with an Android tablet (Toshiba) is that it is nicely integrated with my non-apple pc and with my Samsung android phone, so updates, say to Kindle books, email, and calendar, etc are automatically replicated to all devices. I'm pretty sure that Apple does the same thing across Apple devices.