Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Folding table for sewing machine >

Folding table for sewing machine

Folding table for sewing machine

Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks, Sheri, I sent Glenn an email. Looks like he has lots of parts!!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I suppose someday I should refinish the table. It looks like the whole veneer top ought to be replaced. Ugh. Well, some day, when I get tired of fixing machines, I guess!
You might be amazed at what a little Howard's Feed'n'Wax would do for that. Somewhere around here I have some before and after pics of my FW table from when I first got it. The only thing I haven't seen it make a difference on is wood that's been left out in the snow and sun. Actually, that's not strictly true. It doesn't make a difference on veneer that's been waved as a result of that treatment but actual wood it still seems to help.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:15 PM

I don't know that I've seen the Howard's here, but I'll take a look next time I hit the home improvement store. That probably is the best solution for now, as I don't have the time or really the interest in replacing the veneer. Thanks, Tammi!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:48 PM

There's usually at least on dealer in any antique mall that sells Howard's. I've used Formby's refinisher on some furniture with moderate success. It works by dissolving the old finish and redistributing it. Not as good as a real restoration but it works.

You might want to check Glenn's tutorial here on restoring sewing machine cabinets. His methods will give you great results and your card table is worth the effort to do it right.
Rodney
Old 04-22-2015, 03:24 PM

I agree with what Rodney says. (Welcome back Rodney!) It is worth doing it right but in the meantime, it's worth feeding it and helping it not deteriorate further. My bottle came from an Antique mall but I think some of the home improvement places do carry it.

My top wasn't as rough as yours but it had some of the same discoloration on it and the Howard's hid that and gave it some much needed healthy moisture.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:25 PM

I just bought one like this. This is the first one I have found on the internet like it. This is the only table that has the "black dots" on the corners. I have an issue with the opening. I think there is a part missing on the outside edge. There is a "tab" on the outside edge it appears to need to attach to something but it has nothing to attach to on the bracket or the table. If you could send me a picture of what yours looks like from underneath, I would appreciate it VERY much.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM

I have been searching for more information about the Singer Featherweight 221 folding card table with insert for it and found a discussion on this site. I have both from my mother who has passed on and I'm trying to find out what they might be worth so I can get them to a good home. [ATTACH=CONFIG]574969[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]574970[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singerwithcardtable.jpg   singerincardtable.jpg