Foot control question?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
...But I dislike plastic so no matter what others might say to me, plastic = junk.Joe
Right there with you Joe! My daughters refer to me as "allergic to plastic"... they think it is funny to hand me things that look metal and are actually plastic... hilarious... hehe
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 AM

The plastic electronic replacement controllers are pretty flimsy feeling. But for $20, I don't expect very much. They work for me, and that is what I care about.

A new replacement foot control for my friend's mother's Bernina 1000 (mid 1990's) runs between $90 and $200. A replacement for my mom's Pfaff 1222se starts at $90, used. Scary. I treat that foot control and cord set with great respect.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498798[/ATTACH]

This is what you're dealing with. I think this is the same pedal Jenny has on her site, but hers might be black.

The only real complaints I have with the pedal are:

1. The push on connectors are pretty flimsy and don't have any shielding. That makes me nervous becuase they could shift as I put things back together and touch.

2. The pedal is very light, as Joe mentions. The reason I don't like this is it travels. A lot.

It may also not have come with the cord uh... Thing. The one that takes up the gap where the cord enters the box. I say maynot, because this pedal has had at least 3 different cords in it, so it's possible I lost it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498800[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 02:35 PM

I've done one myself, early on for my Kenmore. I couldn't get the cord safety thingy to clamp on and get it the hole for it. So, electrical tape. Now I just order the cord set and controller and pay the extra $3. But I am lazy. Very very lazy. I've been happy with the controller. Beats the heck out of the weird Elna air pouf control that the school machines had in 1990. Not made for that kind of abuse.

The twist nut splices are easy, and the plug to the control board is secure. Better looking than my car stereo self-install!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498804[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails footcont.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had trouble with that strain relief. I couldn't get it on either.
I used a thin rubber grommet instead.
Cari
Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Installed new foot pedal

Joe,

I just changed out the OEM controller for the plastic electronic one on my 328K and the machine runs fine. Must be something with those carbon wafers. Is there a source for replacement disc to rebuild the oem units? Thanks.

T O Rodney
Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had trouble with that strain relief. I couldn't get it on either.
I used a thin rubber grommet instead.
Cari
I think when you have a cord with that rectangular bit on it, and the u shaped piece, it's great. None of the cords I order come with them, so I do the same, a rubber grommet (you can see it in the second photo). I'd prefer better strain relief, but those squeeze things that some of them come with? Ugh. They're always a smidge too big and a bear to get in.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 PM

T O Rodney,
I don't know of any retail source for the carbon disks. I got some from ArchaicArcane, and some from dead controllers. I never throw controllers away. Those little disks come in handy when you need to refurb one.

Strain Reliefs:
Those are a pain. I have found that once you get the wire situated where it needs to be and the relief on the wire you need to compress it with a pair of pliers till it's fully compressed, then push it into the hole. I have never been able to get one in the hole without squeezing it with all my might. But once in, they are solid.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: language
Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Strain Reliefs:
Those are a pain. I have found that once you get the wire situated where it needs to be and the relief on the wire you need to compress it with a pair of pliers till it's fully compressed, then push it into the hole. I have never been able to get one in the hole without squeezing it with all my might. But once in, they are solid.

Joe

I bet that's my problem. All my might is likely more than a little less than yours, hence they're always a little too big for me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: edit quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 PM

Thanks for this article and pictures. I just ordered new wiring, controller and foot pedal. This will be a great help to my husband when he goes to wire it all up.