Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Foot pedal for featherweight quit >

Foot pedal for featherweight quit

Foot pedal for featherweight quit

Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM

I bought a replacement (new) on E-bay for my 301A purchased w/o a pedal.
I think it was about $19.
Works well.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM

I recently posted that my 185J foot pedal was making popping noises. Took it apart and saw that some of the copper wires were broken. I stripped the wires until I got to the good wire and rewired it. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. My first time doing that but will definitely try it when and if I run into that problem again. Would like to thank JMiller (Joe) for his many posts about fixing things yourself. Gave me confidence. Now if I can just learn the right way to post pictures. GRRRRR!!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM

I have been able to repair all but one of my foot controllers. That one apparently got dropped because many of the little carbon disks were broken to bits.
I have a phobia about tossing something I can fix. However I do understand the appeal of a new item that works without needing fixing.

Perhaps my insistence on fixing things is a rebellion against our throw away society. I don't know.

Joe
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have been able to repair all but one of my foot controllers. That one apparently got dropped because many of the little carbon disks were broken to bits.
I have a phobia about tossing something I can fix. However I do understand the appeal of a new item that works without needing fixing.

Perhaps my insistence on fixing things is a rebellion against our throw away society. I don't know.

Joe

That's why I am here tonight==Friend has 20 yr old Viking 980 Seems the tranformer in the foot petal with the cords is getting hot. She is 80 yrs and feels she won't be able to sew much longer so needs it fixed soon as
she is doing some charity work. I thought some on here are so knowledgeable you could give me names with
advise as what to do. Apparently machine was working fine before this. An electrician told her there was no
power getting to the machine. Please direct me to any help or parts companies as I am not used to Vikings.

Please reply here or personal message .
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Kathleen at thequiltgal was very helpful to me.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Mornigstar,

If there is power to the pedal and it's getting hot, but no power is getting to the machine itself, then there is an open somewhere.

I'd start by taking the controller apart and cleaning it as I inspected it. Check all the connections at the motor, the plug, the controller too.

I don't know how the wiring on the Viking is set up, so that is the best guess I can do from here.

Joe