Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Foot pedal problems with my featherweight.

Foot pedal problems with my featherweight.

I really like my little featherweight, but I have a problem with the foot pedal sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Dh and I have taken it apart several times seems like there is a short in it, any suggestions.

Have you adjusted the ceramic bit and tabs inside? I know there are instructions in Dave mccullums book. I bet there is somewhere online too. It's just a little nut inside to turn if I remember correctly.

Blog Entries
    I had that problem with my featherweight and it was caused by a broken wire. My husband replaced it with a new wire and now it hums consistantly.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    I had that problem with my featherweight and it was caused by a broken wire. My husband replaced it with a new wire and now it hums consistantly.

Mary
    Thanks I will have dh check it out. I love the little "gal" but she drives me crazy.

Seems I have that problem with my 1969 Singer Stylist... runs, runs OUT OF CONTROL, then runs fine again... Grrrrrr....
    Does anyone know if there is a ceramic bit and tabs and a little nut in that 1969 foot pedal before I try to take it apart ????

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cpfrog; 11-08-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: forgot a couple words

Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog View Post
    Seems I have that problem with my 1969 Singer Stylist... runs, runs OUT OF CONTROL, then runs fine again... Grrrrrr....
    Does anyone know if there is a ceramic bit and tabs and a little nut in that 1969 foot pedal before I try to take it apart ????

Thanks in advance.
    Tons of them do, but the new ones are built a little differently. Can you post a pic of your pedal? Some of them are also harder to get into than others. The button feet like the FWs and the 400 / 500 series (we're getting into the low 60s now) are easy to get into, but I don't remember when they changed to the clamshell design. Some of the clamshells are easy, but I have one here that has no screws to open it, and supposedly you're supposed to pry it open. DH did that and there was bakelite everywhere.

A general rule of thumb is if it gets warm when you do low speed, it has a carbon pile resistor in it to control speed. That's what the featherweights have, and tons of other machines (cheap and easy to make). I don't know if they're all adjustable though.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    It's easy enough to replace the control unit; even easier to replace the entire cordset.
    Stephanie in Mena