free motion with 201 Singer

Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Default free motion with 201 Singer

I have just read a blog (or several ) about free motion quilting with a 201. I had never considered it before as I didn't realize I could. They say you can lower the feed dogs with a screw underneath. ( I haven't looked yet.... but hope I can).. My question is about the foot I use. I didn't get anything that looks like a darning foot.. but there are 2 embroidery feet (both the same) in my bag of attachments. I read somewhere that this foots name was interchangeable with the foot I needed for free motion quilting. Can anyone advise me on this... any hints , etc... If I do need a foot.... where would I get one???? I would love to use this for fmq as my Bernina doesn't always like me using it....lol

Thanks in advance.

Sally
Old 06-06-2016, 11:24 AM

I think all 201s originally came with darning foot #121094 in the accessory box, but there are several other versions available since it takes general low shank feet. This darning foot is meant for any free motion work, and there are fantastic examples of darning (super even and flawless) as well as free motion embroidery with it. I'm not sure all low shank feet will work, especially those with spring action can act up. F.ex. the 99 is more limited than the 201 because of the shorter needle and presser foot bar; some jumping feet can push the entire presser bar up when sewing. I think I broke the jumping foot I borrowed from my Elna, when I tried it on the 201 (I still regret doing that, and it's several months ago).

I struggled quite a bit with tension before I managed to free motion quilt on my 201, and I still haven't prefected it. I know it can be done, I rememer an Australian lady having set up a 201 exclusively for FMQ, doing very nice work. There are a few examples of FMQ with the 201 on the web. I am still working on improving my technique, even movements, steady pace, best tread for the job etc. I am very impressed by the technique and work they manage on treadles. That said, many have model 15 as a favorite for free motion work.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

Don't be intimidated by that knob. Go ahead and turn it. It may be very tight. You can loosen it with a little oil and use a rubber glove on your finger to get a better grip. Once you test it don't forget to tighten it back up... When you put the foot on make sure the thread cutter is out of the way of the foot movement.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I just got my 201 cleaned and oiled and motor lubed. I had someone else rewire it. It purrs. I lowered the feed dogs, and yes that knob was very tight but some oil loosened it up and the dogs are down. My issue is that the stitches are tiny. I set the stitch length as indicated in the manual, right in the middle, but unless I am going super slow the stitches are so small. I can do satisfactory FMQ on my dinky mechanical modern Brother so I know I can get the speeds coordinated. What else am I missing?

PS I just watched the video. Why is the light on the back of her 201? Also, her machine seems very noisy. Mine is whisper quiet.

Last edited by Stitchnripper; 09-26-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: to add a PS
Old 09-26-2016, 02:01 PM

It's not a 201-2, which is probably what you have. Mine purrs, too. From what little I can see, it appears to be a 66, but I'm certainly no expert. Besides the light being on the back, the motor is low on the back, which indicates it is belt driven. The 201-2 has a potted motor, so the motor will be mounted high on the back.

bk
Old 09-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Banned

Since you have the feed dogs down, you are moving the fabric. It takes practice to get used to doing something, even when you can do it on another machine. That's about all I've got since I don't FMQ with my 201-2. Never could get it to cooperate.
The machine in the video is a UK made 201K, a belt driven machine. Yours is a US made 201-2 with a potted motor, a gear driven machine.

Cari
Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM

I have a 201K with a belt driven motor, the belt adds to noise. Since the hand crank version is almost noisless, and the motor itself is rather quiet, I assume the belt adds quite a bit of noise. The 201K2 is few and far between here, well, alt least compared to the belt driven version. My 201 is not very fast, but fast enough for me (as fast and some new machines), I have two much speedier zigaggers. It's closer to my 99 and 66 when it comes to noise, though it runs smoother. My 99 runs faster than my 201 for some reason, but I suspect the motor on my 201 could use a cleaning and greasing. From the information I read on the web, most vintage Australian Singers were made in Scotland (Kilbowie), they have the same 220V motor and light setup.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post

PS I just watched the video. Why is the light on the back of her 201? Also, her machine seems very noisy. Mine is whisper quiet.
The machine in the video is a 201-3, which has the light in the back of the machine and also is belt driven. I have one myself, it's a great little machine. I bought it specifically because of the light mounted on the back.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 AM

I watched the video again, and I think most of the noise comes from the needle punching the fabric. Sound often gets sharper through recordings and computer speakers.