Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Free motion on a vintage white machine? >

Free motion on a vintage white machine?

Free motion on a vintage white machine?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Default Free motion on a vintage white machine?

If you can see this puny picture this is a pink vintage WHITE sewing machine posted on craigslist. I want a machine for free motion quilting. Does anyone have experience quilting on a White?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM

annalee,

No experience with any kind of quilting, but by the looks of that machine it is a Japanese make and will probably drop the feed dogs and it will have a vertical bobbin.
That would help with the FMQ

Joe
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM

It should do an adequate job, but the photo shown really doesn't give an adequate look at the throat size. That should be a consideration for you. But, since it's pink, I'd have to buy it:>
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM

It looks very similar to a blue one I sold last spring. If it is it is no bigger throat size than any other machine. Mine was a workhorse that didn't care what or how thick something was it sewed it. The bobbin is horizontal, don't remember if the feed dogs dropped. It did not have an on and off switch, I had to plug and unplug it. It was very heavy and hard for me to lift up to change the bobbin. Mine also had a knee lever not a foot pedal and it was hard for me to find a position to press the knee lift and my shoulder to be in a good position. I have pretty bad repetitive motion injury to my right shoulder all the way to my fingers so it was just to heavy and cumbersome for me but it sewed very well. Powerful motor, pretty stitch and pretty machine, I hated to get rid of it but it was too much for me and I found it a good home with someone who appreciated it.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 AM

Annalee, could you post the address of the original post on CL? that would give us better pics to look at.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM

I have a WHITE I bought in 1960 (I was but a child, mind you) that FMs like a dream. I just love playing at it...it's a workhorse, that's for sure.