Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
vintage machine for free motion quilting? >

vintage machine for free motion quilting?

vintage machine for free motion quilting?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM

I've been thinking for a while about buying a new machine for free motion quilting, because my current machine doesn't like doing it. So far I've been thinking in terms of a new machine, but I've seen several comments suggesting that vintage ones are good for FMQ - which could save me a lot of money! I've recently bought a Featherweight, which I love, though of course its size means it's limited for FMQ, but my enjoyment of sewing on it has opened me to the possibility of an older machine to solve my FMQ problems. Does anyone have any comments/recommendations? I've heard that the Singer 301 is good, but also, sadly, that it was never available in Europe, so I probably have to look for other possibilities.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM

I am using a Singer 201 for some FM quilting. It is a powerful machine and is often claimed to be the best machine that Singer ever made. It has a large harp space and the feeddogs drop. It works well with my newly purchased short shank darning/FM foot.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 AM

I started out just like you annesthreads. My first purchase was a FW that I also love to sew on. A well know collector, Annie, really likes all the model 15s and she does all her FMQ on a treadle. I have now acquired a treadle model 15 which I FMQ on and a Singer clone "Fabric" that is electric and does nice FMQ. You can definitely find a good vintage machine to do FMQ. Why I like the model 15s is all my attachments are interchangable.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
I started out just like you annesthreads. My first purchase was a FW that I also love to sew on. A well know collector, Annie, really likes all the model 15s and she does all her FMQ on a treadle. I have now acquired a treadle model 15 which I FMQ on and a Singer clone "Fabric" that is electric and does nice FMQ. You can definitely find a good vintage machine to do FMQ. Why I like the model 15s is all my attachments are interchangable.
I have one of those singer treadles - is there a trick to FMQ on them? I don't know if it drops the feed dogs, but on my dinky Brother I set the stitch to 0 and manage quite nicely.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Does anyone have any comments/recommendations? I've heard that the Singer 301 is good, but also, sadly, that it was never available in Europe, so I probably have to look for other possibilities.
I don't think you can go wrong with a 15 - nice big class 15 bobbin, 15 x 1 needle, bobbin accessible even with a quilt in the machine and droppable feed dogs. (though that's not absolutely necessary)

There was a beautiful 15 made with RAF decals and a simple (almost Shaker) style wooden cabinet. I think it was a 15-89 but, I don't believe that was made in an electric version. I found one of those here in just about pristine condition, so you could probably find one there a lot easier. :)

It should be no problem to find a 15-91 in England - that's the version with the motor that's gear driven. The version with the external motor and belt drive is the 15-90. Either of these will fit into any standard Singer cabinet if it doesn't come with its own. The cabinet is a big help when you're free-motion quilting. When you're wrestling the quilt around, you don't want the machine to move with the quilt. :)

An easy way to recognize the 15 is that it's the only one with the tensioner on the face plate of the machine, pointing to the left. When you take the face plate off, the tensioner goes with it. Most tensioners are on the front of the machine, facing you.

Other good possibilities for free-motion quilting are the 27/127 VS (vibrating shuttle) machines and the 201 round bobbin machine.

I know that a lot of people like their 301's for free-motion quilting, but I would actually prefer any of the above to the 301, so if you don't find one over there, don't feel bad. You have even better options available. :)

My 15-89
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204659[/ATTACH]

15-91 - tension knob to left, on back edge of face plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204653.jpe   attachment-204654.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
I have one of those singer treadles - is there a trick to FMQ on them? I don't know if it drops the feed dogs, but on my dinky Brother I set the stitch to 0 and manage quite nicely.
At least on my treadles the feed dogs don't drop, I just use the quilting foot with the darning plate (cover them up!). Although, I have heard a lot of people just dial down the stitch length.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I don't think you can go wrong with a 15 - nice big class 15 bobbin, 15 x 1 needle, bobbin accessible even with a quilt in the machine and droppable feed dogs. (though that's not absolutely necessary)

It should be no problem to find a 15-91 in England - that's the version with the motor that's gear driven. The version with the external motor and belt drive is the 15-90. An easy way to recognize the 15 is that it's the only one with the tensioner on the face plate of the machine, pointing to the left. When you take the face plate off, the tensioner goes with it. Most tensioners are on the front of the machine, facing you.

Other good possibilities for free-motion quilting are the 27/127 VS (vibrating shuttle) machines and the 201 round bobbin machine.
Thanks very much for this - really helpful. I've been getting a bit confused as to the differences between the various models. Good to know about the 27/127 as well - those are new ones to me.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 AM

The Singer 301 is often valued for its ability to drop feed dogs for FMQ, and its light weight, allowing it to be easily moved. I have 1 I take to classes, guild, friendship quilt group, etc. I haven't FMQ on it, because I have a short arm machine on a frame. But others do and swear on it's ease of use for that.

Hummmm, never heard before that it wasn't available in UK. That may limit finding one.