Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A Frister & Rossman Beauty, I need help!!

Blog Entries

A Frister & Rossman Beauty, I need help!!

I am in love with this little beauty, and would love for someone to help me identify and maybe find some info about her. I have emailed the company which is still in business, with little luck. I have checked ISMACS and have had no luck. This company is still producing machines, and it looks like I could get some info from them. Does anyone know anything about her? I would love to know what ever I could. She is a hand crank, but does have the holes in her base to use as a treadle. I have been trying to get her to sew, but I am not sure if I have the shuttle threaded correctly. She is in wonderful shape, her case even has the key. Thanks for any help you could give.

Name:  DSCF5957.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  1.26 MBName:  DSCF5947.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  1.24 MBName:  DSCF5950.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  1.23 MBName:  DSCF5953.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  1.24 MBName:  DSCF5948.JPG
Views: 892
Size:  1.25 MB

Terisail

I have never heard of this machine but she sure is a beauty!

Here's some info on F&R:

http://www.sewalot.com/frister_rossmann.htm

You can probably get away with Singer 127 instructions for use except for bobbin winder:

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ls/127-128.pdf

Good Luck
    Jon

Muv
    It's a Vibrating Shuttle Model E. My sister in law has one of these and I cleaned it up for her a few months ago. For loading the shuttle and threading the top thread it is the same as for Singer long bobbin machines, which I show on Youtube. Winding the bobbin is more difficult to explain. I have a different model Frister and Rossmann with the same bobbin winder so I can post you some photos here later this weekend to show you how to do it.

There is something about pre-war German bobbin winders that gets me rapturously enthusiastic. They are works of mechanical genius. You should get a far more evenly wound bobbin than you will ever get from a Singer.

Muv
    Terisail - Frister and Rossmann is in effect a brand name used by the importers between the two World Wars. The original company was in Berlin but folded at some time about 95 years ago. The modern Frister and Rossmann is just a continuation of the name but not the same company at all. I've always been curious to know who actually made the inter-war F & Rs because they are excellent machines. If the manual shows you how to wind the bobbin, that's good news. If not, let me know.

Beautiful machine.

She is sure beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terisail View Post
    I am in love with this little beauty, and would love for someone to help me identify and maybe find some info about her. I have emailed the company which is still in business, with little luck. I have checked ISMACS and have had no luck. This company is still producing machines, and it looks like I could get some info from them. Does anyone know anything about her? I would love to know what ever I could. She is a hand crank, but does have the holes in her base to use as a treadle. I have been trying to get her to sew, but I am not sure if I have the shuttle threaded correctly. She is in wonderful shape, her case even has the key. Thanks for any help you could give.
    Be sure to check out all of Muv's fine videos - learn how to use & maintain the machine: HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

It's looks like a "clone" of the model 28 and I'll bet that the instruction manual for the Singer 28 would be pretty close. The decals on this one are just gorgeous - no wonder you love her!

Terisail, congratulations on being the proud owner of an F&R machine. It is an exceptionally gorgeous machine! Thank you Muv for the information and your tutorials - they have explained things more clearly than me reading through pages of a book! It would have taken ages too!
    Patchwork Crazy!!!