FW Attachments

Old 11-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Question FW Attachments

Did the fw come with a set of accessories/attachments when new? If so, what was included? I see many "accessories" on e-bay but it seems that each set is different. Were people able to pick what they wanted or is there actually a "standard" set?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM

I think there as a standard set of about 6 attachments, but that may have varied over the years that the FW was produced. I am recalling the ruffler, a binding foot, zipper foot, hemmer, and some others.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:36 PM

Depends on the age, as Singer changed what was in the basic set. If you get a manual for the proper year, it will show what the standard attachments that came with the machine were. I believe some of the last came with the edge guide and the zipper foot - and maybe one other foot, but the rest had to be purchased separately.

There were a lot of optional accessories available.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

My mom never had anything but a zipper foot with the FW she was given in 1948. She bought a button hole attachment. Low shank attachments fit a FW so maybe the ebay sellers are advertising them as FW to make you think they are supposed to be original. Likely they are robbed from some other machine.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 AM

I don't know if it applies to Featherweights but Singer used to show the part numbers of the attachments that came with their machines in their manuals. If you have the right year manual for your machine you might be able to track down the part numbers for your set that way.
If you're just after something that fits then any low shank straight stitch attachments will work. I think most Ebay sellers put "Featherweight" in their ads hoping to either sell faster or for more $ or both.
Rodney
Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the answers! Spoke with a friend of mine today and she said that she has the attachments that came with her 1947 fw. She sold (groan) her fw back in 1963 and replaced it with a "Touch and Sew", which she hated. When she finds the attachments, they are mine to have. (Pat only wishes she still had her fw!)

Right now I am in the process of buying an original case for the new fw. The case that came with the machine is in horrendous shape - mildewed, moldy, handle broken, no locks and a broken hinge. I figured it would be a lot easier to get a "new" original case than try to fix up the one that I have. If the case works out, I will try to find another original case for my centennial fw as the bottom of the case is duct taped (yes, silver tape...not black) together. I love the looks of the remade modern cases, but I want to try to keep to the original case.

Thanks for the help!