Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
? for Glenn or anyone else about tiny veneer cracks >

? for Glenn or anyone else about tiny veneer cracks

? for Glenn or anyone else about tiny veneer cracks

Old 01-14-2015, 06:12 PM

Default ? for Glenn or anyone else about tiny veneer cracks

Hoping Glenn or any of you who do wood restoration can advise me what to do with my parlor cabinet.

As I am wiping the dust and dirt from my treadle cabinet I discovered several areas on the front of the door where the veneer "moves" along the grain lines. No veneer is missing, more like it is cracking open. The cracks are so small, I don't know how I would get any glue in there.

How or what should I do to repair the integrity of the surface? Heat? Wax? Glue? Clamps?
Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

I could not get a closeup photo that would show the cracks, but here is the cabinet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506083[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 238.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 PM

I water down wood glue a little so it will flow from a syringe like for injecting medications. Use the needle and inject some glue in the cracks place some wax paper over the area. I would remove the head and lay the cabinet on its back. Now you can place a flat piece of wood over the wax paper and place something heavy to clamp the veneer in place a brick or a bucket with some rocks in it. If you have clamps large enough you can use them. Let glue cure over night.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Sounds easy enough! Thanks Skip for sharing your experiences.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Hoping Glenn or any of you who do wood restoration can advise me what to do with my parlor cabinet.

As I am wiping the dust and dirt from my treadle cabinet I discovered several areas on the front of the door where the veneer "moves" along the grain lines. No veneer is missing, more like it is cracking open. The cracks are so small, I don't know how I would get any glue in there.

How or what should I do to repair the integrity of the surface? Heat? Wax? Glue? Clamps?
Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

I could not get a closeup photo that would show the cracks, but here is the cabinet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506083[/ATTACH]
Get an injection needle and use it might have to thin it down with a little water, Get needles at Tractor Supply for horses, because they are a little larger like gage 18. I also use it with oil when you have only very small hole to use oil in. Works great in other ways.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 AM

Looks like Glenn's got you covered on the repairs. Great looking cabinet and machine!
Rodney
Old 01-16-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I water down wood glue a little so it will flow from a syringe like for injecting medications. Use the needle and inject some glue in the cracks place some wax paper over the area. I would remove the head and lay the cabinet on its back. Now you can place a flat piece of wood over the wax paper and place something heavy to clamp the veneer in place a brick or a bucket with some rocks in it. If you have clamps large enough you can use them. Let glue cure over night.
Glenn, you never cease to amaze me with your restoration knowledge and simple, practical advice. I sure hope that you're writing a book.

~ Cindy
Old 01-16-2015, 02:27 PM

Thanks but I am not writing a book. I am just passing along many years of info that I have learned in furniture restoration. It was a good business but I am retired and enjoy helping others with this stuff. I did learn from the best as an apprentice in Germany so why not pass it along. At least I try to keep us from throwing stuff away that can be brought back to life and be pretty again and useful.
Skip
Old 01-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

...I did learn from the best as an apprentice in Germany so why not pass it along. .
Skip
Glenn,

I have signed up for a woodworking board to get some insite into repairs of the wood portions. Would you mind if I shared your #1 formula? (I posted a picture of the Wilson being cleaned and got a lot of WHAT DID YOU USE? comments)

Steve
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 PM

Please do , I don't mine at all. Just be sure to use my name. I really don't think I am the first to use the solution. I just made it up from my own need to clean old furniture. Many old furniture restore people use a similar solution but with there own make up.

Last edited by Glenn; 01-16-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

Please do , I don't mine at all. Just be sure to use my name.
Will do, Thanks