Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Going price of Featherweight machines??? >

Going price of Featherweight machines???

Going price of Featherweight machines???

Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Around this area I would agree on the $250 range. Anything over $300 just sits. I got mine for less than $100 but I was lucky. I was patient and stalked craigslist like crazy.

This is for the average, run of the mill, black, non special featherweight. Not mint, not badged, not painted, nor white/tan/free arm.

I also vastly prefer my 301 over my featherweight. It's just too small and dainty for me. It's pretty on display, I take it down and oil/run it every once in a while.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 PM

Okay, I love my featherweights, for a lot of reasons. They are great if you want to go somewhere and tug along a small machine, no question about it. I piece on mine mostly, anything else I probably wouldn't use it. I also just love to look at the little darlings. I like them in good shape and not too expensive, but I don't need to have just everything with them either. Like all collectibles that are usable and in demand the prices differ. Like Rodney, in our area, Western Washington State, a good buy is a decent machine (black) some attachments with sometimes without case starts around 250 and goes up. I noticed on GW that they go very high on there for an auction site. So just depends.

I would look for dings, scratches, missing paint, rubbed decals, rust, dirt under the plate, etc. Then look for book, attachments, good case/bad case and go from there a really nice set up here would be 400 bucks up. So look on Craigslist in your area and surrounding area as well as ebay in your area in the sold section and see what the going rate is. You probably have heard all of this before, but if you have a hankering, invest in some time to get information. I wouldn't just buy one because someone else has one, but seeing pictures or going to a class with those little cute machines running and piecing up a quilt is surely an awesome site!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

$350 in working order but not fixed up. I bought several over the years and have paid $100 to $200 but would be hard pressed to find anything for that price right now. Also all needed a look over and some had a smelly box but DH dealt with that part. I got to play with them once they were up and running. I use my Feather Weights all the time to piece with. I have plenty of other machines too.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-29-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 AM

I have one, but like others prefer my 301A (currently tension assembly needs work) so I have moved on to my vintage New Home (have three of them) and last November purchased a new Janome New Home at WalMart (wanted the needle down feature). I still keep one of my vintage New Homes in my van for a backup machine and have used it several times.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 AM

Cosmetic condition seems to drive the price of standard (flatbed) Featherweights, so the amount of wear the one you're purchasing will be the primary factor of where it sits on the $250-600 range. Frankly, I prefer a machine with a little wear if I'm going to use it for projects because I don't have to treat it with kid gloves. To show your appreciation, you can add a little money to the seller's asking price - whatever it is - or, you can make something for him on the machine and give it to him as a gesture of thanks. The second method has the advantages of a.) doing something personal and memorable, and b.) giving yourself the opportunity to ask follow-up questions if you have any.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:04 AM

I paid just over $200 for mine on eBay a few months ago. Standard black, nothing special. The case is in great shape and has the tray, the machine itself I would say is in very good shape - has some decal wear on the front of the bed from use but otherwise in great condition mechanically and didn't need any fixing, just a little cleaning and some fresh oil because it'd sat in a closet for several years. Came with controller, original manual, 20 bobbins, original screwdrivers, and some original service records. No presser feet.

I think I paid a fair price.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:18 AM

I'm surprised to read some comments about not caring for the FW. It's a matter of personal choice, I'd guess. I have three and love and use each of them. All were gifts from family and a dear friend. Where I live (Long Island) the going rate seems to be $250-$400 depending on condition.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I am glad, I'm still waiting for the right FW. The ones I've called about within a 100 mile radius have asked more than I'm going to pay. Many are in need of repair and not working at all ($200- 400). Not all attachments are there if any. lucky if there is a foot controller. Saw one I really liked needed some work but without bobbin case. Had few attachments and filthy as all get out. Thought the price was $120.00 but the decimal was in the wrong spot. $1200.00. Left it. I didn't need it that bad, don't belong to any guilds, have a 401 I dearly love and my newer 2662 is portable, in it's carrier and easy to use ontop (alongside) my 401 with the desk cabinet. So if I see one nearly free, I'll take it for reasonable. Maybe.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
There aren't anything similarly built with cast aluminium body and forged steel gears and hinges. What does the top quality light weights currently in production cost?
Bantam Belair and Sewmore are both aluminum bodies, styled on the 3/4 Singer 99 machine. My bantam I turned into a hand crank to take when Rob goes fishing weighs about 13 pounds, my machine was built in 1952
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Featherweights start at $200 and go up from there in this community. They are not hard to find. Of course, the price depends on the condition of the machine and motivation of the seller.

I have owned 3 FW's (still own one) and 3 or 4 301's. I much prefer to sew on a 301. Right now I am doing straight line quilting with a walking foot using a 301 on a current project, and it does a great job.

However, nothing is cuter that a Featherweight!