Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Good Housekeeper (Japanese made) Model 960 >

Good Housekeeper (Japanese made) Model 960

Good Housekeeper (Japanese made) Model 960

Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I believe I have an Electro Grand that is very similar. Mine has the added feature of some disks. I haven't gotten the BAM lever sorted out yet. The zig zag dial is next to it. The levers push in either sets it or releases it to turn. I wish I knew where there was a free manual. That generic manual doesn't do the disks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452774[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails electro-003.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 AM

buttonhole auto manual...?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
buttonhole auto manual...?
HHHMMMM Buttonhole I get. What is Auto and Manual?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM

My Alden SUZ-2 has a "Manual" on the control dial. It also has button hole settings and a selection for straight stitch.

I still have not found a manual that covers this machine, so I haven't totally figured out what it's settings do.

Joe
Old 12-23-2013, 12:38 PM

auto-cam manual-selector switch?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
Hello again!

Yesterday I was cruising my local thrifts and I came across this beauty. Branded as a Good Housekeeper machine. These photos are taken before and during cleaning so... some areas are icky looking. lol

I found this most amusing to me. As you can see from the imgur album her electrical cords are twisty.
As always for more photos here's the IMGUR Album link.: http://imgur.com/a/9k0jL

Are these machines worth anything? I found the exact same machine with the name "Federal" "Model 360" on it at a yard sale today, it's in excellent condition.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551024[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 13241328_10154888904242519_5104918790920850279_n.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
Are these machines worth anything? I found the exact same machine with the name "Federal" "Model 360" on it at a yard sale today, it's in excellent condition.
These old vintage machines are usually not worth a lot in money, depending a bit upon what you payed of it, you can easily sell it for more when cleaned, serviced and running smoothly again. Your Federal machine looks like it's in very good condition, but for any machine that's been in storage for years, there is quite a lot of oiling, cleaning and more oiling. Your's looks like a simple straight stitch - zigzag model, if all gears and inners turn out to be all metal it's a pluss. Many who are looking at vintage machines have an all metal model high on the wish list.

The best way to get an old machine to run fine again is by using it, sewing on it regularly for a while. Along the way you get around to clean and oil all parts several times over, sorting out tension, bobbin case and what ever turns up along the way. It takes a bit of tenative and repeated oiling to get all dried up oil and grime flushed out of the inner most nooks and crannies. Maybe the motor needs to have the carbon brushes cecked and new grease on the motor axle. Those combinational push-turn dials can be quite a bit of work to get them to work smootly again, but it's usually all about carefully cleaing and oiling. You likely have to replace motor belt and bobbin tire, maybe give it a run over with a resin type car polish to give the finish an extra lift and protection. Even if it's not professionally serviced, a good job of cleaning, oiling and sorting it out will make it easier to sell. If you can provide a sitch sample on various fabrics and let the buyer get a trustworthy view of how the machine runs makes a difference.

Vintage machines can often be very solidly built and nice to sew on. The value in them are the quality of the componets and how capable it is for the job intended. When fixed up these machines often out perform any brand new model in the lower to mid price range, even if they don't have a lot of stitch patterns. The vintage look is for many a pluss too, and yours look very nice. I like the color a lot. The value is mostly to the person who take on this type of machine and make use of it; they are very much up to the jobs we have for them in 2016. I don't know this brand at all, but I dare say it's well worth fixing it up and giving it a fair chance. If the accessory box and extra bobbins are there it's even better.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-28-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM

Mickey, Thanks for your reply. This machine appears to have been well oiled prior to storage, in fact, the bottom of the box still has oily damp spots. The machine runs smoothly and seems to be solid metal. The thing weighs a ton. I don't believe it has the accessory box or extra bobbins though. The buttons and knobs all appear to be in good working order with very little sign of wear on them at all.

I only paid $8, so I think I got a great deal on it, I talked them down from $10. LOL, maybe this would make a great machine for my daughter to learn on?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;6468241]I believe I have an Electro Grand that is very similar. Mine has the added feature of some disks. I haven't gotten the BAM lever sorted out yet. The zig zag dial is next to it. The levers push in either sets it or releases it to turn. I wish I knew where there was a free manual. That generic manual doesn't do the disks.

I found the following information on "Just Answer" while searching for info on my machine.

"Your sewing machine De Luxe ZIG-ZAG Electro-Grand made in Japan was made after WW2 it is what is known as a Singer Japanese clone sewing machine.

Shortly after WW2, Japan, with money from the United States, manufactured a large number of sewing machines. Indeed many of these machines are practically indistinguishable from a Singer and use parts that are interchangeable. Often they were given American sounding names to appeal to the overseas market. Different "brands" have been identified, manufactured by 15 or so companies. Unfortunately, records from these manufactures don't exist, so it is impossible to identify them further. Most of these machines have JA stamped into the bottom of the machine or Made In Japan. Large American department store companies would purchase the machines and have their name put on them.