Good vintage zigzag machine

Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Good vintage zigzag machine

I have several great vintage straight stitch machines, but would like to find one with zigzag and possibly a few decorative stitches.

So what do you knowledgable folk recommend I keep an eye out for?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Kenmore 158-15xxx series
Singer 328
Singer 338
Singer 401a
Singer 500a
Morse Photomatic III or IV series

And there are many many many more. Both Japanese and American name plate machines.
Once you see one do the research and stay away from those with plastic cam stacks and gears if possible.

A place to look to get an idea of what is out there is ShopGW { http://shopgoodwill.com/ }. There are a bunch of machines that will do what you want on there right now.

Joe
Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)
My wife qualifies for that too. Is there any membership fees?

Joe
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

What I was thinking. Especially love my 401. Lots of stitches and if you can find one with the cams go for it. Mine is in a desk cabinet but it can be taken out, if you want it to be portable. Heavy! I paid $150.00 at an estate sale but they had $200.00 on it. Don't forget to take your test kit with you. My kit contains a folded up 10"x10" piece of denim swatch. Pair of snips and spool of thread.[QUOTE=J Miller;7017578]Kenmore 158
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 AM

mom-6, Joe has made some excellent suggestions and here's my $0.02:

Look for:

1) All-metal.
2) Takes common parts such as bobbin and bobbin case, needles, etc.
3) Powerful motor, the higher the amperage the better. In my experience, 0.8 - 1.0 is good, 1.2 amps is better.
4) Easy to repair yourself.
5) Price.
6) Stitches. Depending upon what you're sewing, utility stitches are more important than decorative stitches. However, if this is your first zig-zag and you don't see yourself buying another (Sewing Machine Acquisition Disorder is highly contagious, fyi), try to find one with utility, stretch, and decorative stitching capability rather than a more limited machine.
7) Stitch width. Wider is better, as it gives you more options. Many domestic machines (meaning for home sewing) I've run are 4mm. Many Kenmores are 5mm. I have an industrial that goes to 8mm.
8) Shank height. Low shank feet and attachments are commonly found. High shank and super-high shank (a Kenmore proprietary design, I believe) are less commonly found but adapters can be purchased that will accept low shank attachments. Additionally, if you plan to sew materials that are bulky, try to find a machine whose presser foot can be raised well above the needle plate. When considering a machine, operate the presser foot lift and see how high the foot rises at the max height.
9) You'll probably be sewing straight-stitch on your zig-zag machine. Switching between the two should be easy and quick. Some machines have a small plate under the needle area that only has to be lifted and reversed (straight hole on one end, wide zig-zag hole on the other), negating the need to use a screwdriver and changing of the entire needle plate. It's a small consideration but a feature I really appreciate.
10) Built-in buttonhole capability.

Kenmore, White, Brother, Singer, and Japanese 'badged' or 'clone' zig-zag machines all can be found for very little money. Some are in great shape and only need cleaning and oiling, if that. Others need more serious attention.

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 12-22-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM

This is a little controversial. Singer 600 and 603 Touch & Sews. Make sure you read the instructions. Other than the wind in place bobbins they are very similar mechanically to the 400 and 500 series Singers and are all metal inside. Later models have plastic gears.

You may want to bring a screwdriver with you and ask to open any machine you're interested in to check inside.
There are a lot of good Japanese machines out there but you would have to check on an individual basis.
Rodney
Old 12-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks! Will keep an eye out for any of these.
Would love to find a 328. I got one as a HS graduation gift. It survived many military moves before finally giving up the ghost.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 AM

I went through about a dozen used domestic machines before I found the Singer U20. I burned out motors, ruined raceways and hooks etc. I even had to have the first motor on the U20 (40 years ago) replaced. One is set up for straight stitch and one for satin stitch. Easy to clean and maintain but do need specific needles which last a long time. The satin stitch is to die for! and the machine cast $1000 back when and about the same now.
Attached Thumbnails ready-blog-16.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Thanks! Will keep an eye out for any of these.
Would love to find a 328. I got one as a HS graduation gift. It survived many military moves before finally giving up the ghost.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/atq/4801530117.html
this looks decent. If you wanted it and they won't ship, I could pick it up for you and ship it.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM

Cogito that 328 looks great. If I needed another machine I would grab it !! But I have 2 Singers and a Janoome