Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances >

Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances

Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Default Vintage ZigZag machines, piecing 1/4" (scant) seam allowances

Hi folks, my other half is interested in setting her old Bernina 817 aside and trying out one of the cool looking machines I've got (over 30 last I checked). I set the Sewmor 945 up for her, and then I remembered that it's a left homing needle position when straight stitching. Now someone's mother or grandmother must have done some beautiful quilt piecing on her only machine. What's the best technique? Is the gummy track of old masking tape adhesive a clue to the usual method? Are there any (And I've searched with no luck so far) straight stitch feet with 1/4" to the right for left homing machines? Or should I fabricate one and see if I can get the Chinese to make a hundred for cheap? (sort of kidding about that...) Oh yeah, I could drag out a straight stitch machine, but that's too simple.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453556[/ATTACH]
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-21-18.15.19.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Jim,

Get a straight stitch foot for it if you don't already have one, and a fabric guide. I do this with the LH machines I've got. Works just fine.

You'll need a fabric guide that has a notch in it so it fits over the inboard feed dog teeth. They seem to be common for the Japanese machines.

Joe
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Jim, they're simply just not good piecing machines. Your wife will not be happy. The fabric only sits on one feed dog and she will not be pleased with how it feeds or the trouble it takes to get an accurate, scant 1/4". A LEFT homeing machine is not the first or best choice for a quilter. Can you make it work? Yes, but it's so much easier on a center homing machine. Since she's used to her Bernina, don't shock her with the left homing machine:> Have her use a different vintage machine since you have 30:>

Last edited by Candace; 12-28-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Jim, they're simply just not good piecing machines. Your wife will not be happy. The fabric only sits on one feed dog and she will not be pleased with how it feeds or the trouble it takes to get an accurate, scant 1/4". A LEFT homeing machine is not the first or best choice for a quilter. Can you make it work? Yes, but it's so much easier on a center homing machine. Since she's used to her Bernina, don't shock her with the left homing machine:> Have her use a different vintage machine since you have 30:>
Do you mind if I ask, what is a "homing" machine? Also, what do you mean by left homing?

Sorry, this might be a really basic thing but I have not heard the term before. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Do you mind if I ask, what is a "homing" machine? Also, what do you mean by left homing?

Sorry, this might be a really basic thing but I have not heard the term before. Thanks in advance!

Some Japanese made, zig zag machines have this feature. There is no center needle position. Most machines when set at straight stitch go in the center of the foot. Left homing machines set at straight stitch, are on the left. This is not ideal for quilters and imagine trying to quilt or do a stitch in the ditch with it. They're great machines for general sewing, however like apparel, bags etc. And are quality machines. Just not a favorite with quilters.

If you scroll down to the pink Morse, Bonnie Hunter talks about it http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...er-beware.html

And here is a close up of a left homing machine. See what I mean about a 1/4" seam running on only one feed dog? For a 5/8" clothing/apparel seam the machine is a good option. For trying to get accurate points or intricate piecing? Not so much. http://blog.artisanatheart.com/wp-co...2/DSCF6218.jpg

Last edited by Candace; 12-28-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks, Candace!

So basically, you have to put the fabric so far to the left, that the right feed dog is not contacting the fabric, and hence it is difficult to "steer"?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Thanks, Candace!

So basically, you have to put the fabric so far to the left, that the right feed dog is not contacting the fabric, and hence it is difficult to "steer"?
Exactly:> Having two feed dogs in contact with the fabric is better than one.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:21 PM

I'm in agreement with Candace. My White 2334 is a left homing Japanese machine. The smallest seams that I can stitch are 3/8" wide. I purchased this machine for zig zag and heavy sewing, it has a 1.3 amp motor.

I do piecing on my 15-91 or the 66 treadle.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM

Many many years ago I attended an automotive repair school. One of the instructors said the general mechanic could not replace the double U-joints found in most of the big GM cars in the 60s and 70s. I looked at him quite shocked and told him I'd done the two in my Buick and my moms. He was quite surprised.

So I equate this topic with that. I've pieced several quilts with one of several left homing machines and had no trouble doing it at all. I simply used the correct straight stitch foot and a fabric guide that allowed for the feed dogs and went to town on it.

I guess it's one of those things where if you don't know you can't do it, or that it's not supposed to work, you just do it any way.

Oh, here's something to check on your machines. I have an ALDENS Magic ZZ machine (looks like a Necchi BU) that will do perfectly good straight stitches from the middle needle position. IF you use the ZZ foot and needle plate, just do not try that with the SS foot.
For some reason the SS foot requires the needle set on the left. The SS needle plate confirms this.

Joe
Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM

I'll have to be a little more discriminating in the future machine purchases I guess. But I did go ahead to try it and it wasn't too bad. I need to get an actual 1/4" piecing foot I think. It's surprising I don't have one in all the attachments I have already. Closest I have is an adjustable binder foot, which kind of works.