Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Got it working but I still have a question. >

Got it working but I still have a question.

Got it working but I still have a question.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Got it working but I still have a question.

Okay, I worked on my DGD and her DH's Singer 201 today. It was really dirty..... a smoker must have had it because there was yellowish grunge on all the parts. I took things apart and cleaned it and put it back together.... The problem about the thread breaking was really pretty simple. They had gotten some bobbins at the local sewing shop and they were too big to fit correctly and turn. When they tried to take the bobbins out of the machine, it was too snug. My DGS broke all but one trying to get them out. So, we went to the local Hancocks and got different bobbins. They fit okay and now it sews pretty good.

Now my question. I'd never taken a tension apart before and it works okay now that I have it back together but the numbers don't line up and there isn't a lot of adjustment. So, I'm wondering if Rain has a video or perhaps someone else that would 'show' me how they go back together. I'm thinking I need to redo it.

Here's the machine and my DGD's DH... ready now to get going on making pillows, etc.
Attached Thumbnails 2011.jpg   2012.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Jean,

TFSR has excellent instructions on how to fix tensions.
{ http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }

I've used their info so much I printed the sections.

Joe
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM

My DH uses his to make shooting rests and magazine holders. He's still learning but having a lot of fun with the machine.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Joe. I'm going to have to go back over to their house and tinker some more. The slot on the stud is going up and down rather than side to side. After reading all this, I think I'll have to do a little more adjusting. It shouldn't be this hard, should it?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks, Joe. I'm going to have to go back over to their house and tinker some more. The slot on the stud is going up and down rather than side to side. After reading all this, I think I'll have to do a little more adjusting. It shouldn't be this hard, should it?
Jean,

The slot is supposed to be horizontal so you can put the indicator on the outer ring at the top.
No it's not that hard, but sometimes you'll have to do it as you read the instructions.

Joe
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Print out the manual Joe mentioned, enlarge the info you need for that machine and sit down with your cute guy and work on that one together. It isn't hard but you do need to follow the directions in that manual. If the post is in wrong you will have to pull it out - again use the manual - and put it back in the correct spot. It would take me about 10 minutes if none of the screws are stuck or have stripped threads and the parts are all there but I routinely take apart tensions and put them back together. It is the easiest most sure way to clean and adjust them. Pay attention to the order the parts go back in and get them in the direction the manual shows... One small hint. A lot of times the nut will be just about even with the post when I am done.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 AM

Thanks, Miriam. I wish you were here. I'm such a visual person and the instructions in the old singer manual weren't as detailed as I think I need. But after reading the post that Joe mentioned I'm sure I'll be able to get it fixed better. The slot isn't right and I don't know if I moved it when I was trying to figure out how to remove the nut or if it was always turned wrong. This machine was the dirtiest I've ever done. I took apart everything and put it back and the gears didn't have any grease on them at all. At least it is sounding like a machine should now. And you can tell in the picture that my DGD's DH is happy as a clam. When I left their house last night to go back to my daughter's place he was sitting at the sewing machine..... stitching for practice. I wish I were closer so I could help him learn how to sew but he's pretty determined right now.... and excited that the machine isn't breaking threads after a few stitches as it was before.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 11-12-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

The pictures in that manual Joe mentioned should be of great help. You will need to enlarge the instructions to see them at a glance as you go.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM

I'll just take my computer along and set it up next to the machine. I don't have my printer with me. The DGD's DH is really helpful, too. He's so excited to get this one sewing.