Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying this singer

Help identifying this singer

I am having trouble identifying this machine, I have looked at tons of pictures but dont see any just like it, some similar. I thought with all the knowledge here someone would know something!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sewingmachineaddict

If you look right above the stitch length lever there is a number. If I am right, that will be the Singer Model #.

I don't know what model it is either and we're watching two of them on GW auctions right now.

Joe

u were right it is a 328k those letters were so little i would never have seen them if u hadnt told me! thank you

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    sewingmachineaddict

If you look right above the stitch length lever there is a number. If I am right, that will be the Singer Model #.

I don't know what model it is either and we're watching two of them on GW auctions right now.

Joe

328K, hmmmmm ... now I know too.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Yup - 328K - I have one just like it. It uses the flat black cams to do the "fancy stitches". Did you get any cams with it?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I'm not sure. Haven't had time to fiddle with it yet. Sews nice smooth stitches

The Singer 328 is special because it can be treadled. The cutout where the cord is in the picture is the place where the treadle belt can go. I bought one, but it is just too heavy, and I don't like the way it looks! Picky me, I know. I am just in love with older machines, and anything that looks this modern is not going to be a favorite of mine.

It looks like I have almost the same machine - I've been searching for the model 328P but then realised the P stands for machines made in Perth, Australia. They look very similar but mine is missing the slot at the top - is that for the cams? I never knew about cams until I read these vintage machine forums (excuse my ignorance). Very excited to learn about the treadling option (thanks georgiaclark!) as mine has the same slot below the power cord Would love to compare notes sewinmachineaddict, are you using yours much?Singer 328 made in Perth, AustraliaCCheers, Amelia

frudemoo, i don't have that exact model (mine is a little newer) but looking at the picture, i'm wondering if your cam location is under the thread holders. what's inside if you flip open that compartment? I mean the section right above "Singer" and the stitch width regulater (0-4) and the needle position (L-R).

Quote Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
    frudemoo, i don't have that exact model (mine is a little newer) but looking at the picture, i'm wondering if your cam location is under the thread holders. what's inside if you flip open that compartment? I mean the section right above "Singer" and the stitch width regulater (0-4) and the needle position (L-R).
    I just realised I didn't look at the original image properly - it looks like the top compartment on sewingmachinecaddict's machine is open a little. When I open my top compartment it looks like this:
    Attachment 391731
    So I guess they are the same, apart from the place of manufacture. I'm not sure how difficult it is do get different stitch cams? The new Bernina 640-2 I just got has automatic decorative stitches and I only just got it back from the shop today so I have lots of playing to do! But I love the idea of having a treadle machine at some point. I'd be really interested to know what kind of table/treadle would suit a machine of this vintage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast