Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
HELP!!!!  Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know >

HELP!!!! Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know

HELP!!!! Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know

Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Red face HELP!!!! Joe - Charlie - or Someone in the know

See 3 pictures.

A lady has this machine that she wants to sell & I want to buy,
but she does not know what to ask & I do not know what to offer.

She wants a decent price & I do not want to pay to much
( SO HELP IS NEEDED FROM THE BOARD MEMBERS ).

I think it is a 66 Treadle in a Drawing Room Cabinet.
Serial # G-49.411.66 (manufactured Sept. 1916).

She has had it for many years (unused - she does not sew).

It needs a belt, but has attachements.

What do you think it is WORTH for her &
a REASONABLE OFFER from me.
Attached Thumbnails sandra-1.jpg   sandra-2.jpg   sandra-3.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM

I hope the pics are good enough the get some replies.
Thanks for any info. you may have.

J J
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I am not a sewing machine expert but that is a lovely cabinet. I would not be adverse to spend $100 on the cabinet but that is me. Have you tried out the machine? I would see if the bobbin/shuttle is there, is the tension spring/disc there and in working order? Does it take a regular needle or will you need to special order them? Extra bobbins and are they hard to find?
Hopefully some of our experts can tell you about the machine itself.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM

I saw cabinet like this one for sale in my area (Montréal, Canada): depending on the condition, people where asking from 300$ to 600$. But area is everything when it comes to value of sewing machine. So I hope somebody in your area will be able to tell you what would be a decent price. The cabinet alone is a beautiful decorative and antique piece, so the market to consider is not the same that the one for sewing machine only.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 AM

Check to see if it is a back clamp for the feet, if is then you would either need it change it out to the side clamp or be restricted to the old back clamp attachments.
Is the side plate taped in place? If I remember correctly this slides into place from the machine side not from the outer edge in, as most people try to do, so they just tape into place.
I would also go $100.00 for it.
I hope you get it, my 66-1 makes the best stitch I have ever seen.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM

Definitely a 'parlor' or 'drawing room' cabinet. As others have said, location has much to do with pricing. If you can do some CL searches maybe a little further from you, you could come up with comparables??? That said, I think the $100 a few others have mentioned is fair to maybe a tad low, again depending on your location. Accessories or lack thereof certainly factor in as well. The cabinet seems to be in relatively good shape per the photos. Machine itself was a little hard to tell from the photo. Make sure all parts are moving smoothly.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am not a sewing machine expert but that is a lovely cabinet. I would not be adverse to spend $100 on the cabinet but that is me. Have you tried out the machine? I would see if the bobbin/shuttle is there, is the tension spring/disc there and in working order? Does it take a regular needle or will you need to special order them? Extra bobbins and are they hard to find?
Hopefully some of our experts can tell you about the machine itself.
I agree, the cabinet is gorgeous.

This machine uses a 66 bobbin in a horizontal bobbin case. Chances are really good that the bobbin case will be intact (they're not a treat to take out) The slide plate is present, that's a definite bonus. It may require the spring for the plate and or the screw to hold the spring on, but more than likely someone just didn't know that the slide plate is installed from the needle side and gave up. All 66s to the best of my knowledge will use a regular 705 or HAx1 needle. The 66 bobbin is one of the easiest bobbins to find these days. I noticed even walmart stopped carrying the 15 bobbins and went to the 66s. That said, don't skimp on them, there are a lot of poorly made bobbins out there that though marked as 66 bobbins won't work in a 66 machine (or a 99, 201, or a 401, 500, etc)
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Yes, the round bobbins are there, slide plate is there, a box of attachments is there.

Yes, the wheel turns freely and needle moved up & down freely (by hand - no belt) .

I don't think it needs anything but the belt.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM

150.00 no more. The machine is common as can be. The cabinet, while not as common, is not rare. Does it have a complete tension assembly? I know some don't have the numbered dial - just making sure you don't get a surprise.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM

I agree with some of the others here - I think the value is in the cabinet moreso than the machine. If I was buying this from a friend, I would offer $125-150 (for just the machine, I would only pay $25-40). I would also check Craigslist, to see if this is on par for your area.