HELP with my beloved 301-A

Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Default HELP with my beloved 301-A

I have a problem with the thread breaking when I try to do free motion quilting. I use the hoping foot and feed dogs down. The thread breaks after a few stitches. My wonderful 88 year old sewing machine mechanic that specializes in vintage machines can't figure out the problem.
I know someone on this wonderful board will figure it out. The thread breaks around the needle or feed dogs after doing just a few stitches. I've re-threaded, changed the needle and bobbin and it still happens.
Can someone help? Thanks so much
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 AM

first question - have you successfully FMQ on a different machine? I ask because I had a ton of problems the first time I attempted it - I was breaking thread about every 2".

Are you pulling the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt and holding it as you start? I don't have to do that with my 30 year old Viking -but I have to do that with my 15-91 or I'll have issues with one or two stitches.

I have not done much FMQ- and only on two machines (I don't count my long arm). My viking does not like to go right to left, I did switch to a larger needle and that helped. My Bailey has a very large needle (think it's a 16).
Old 10-12-2013, 01:18 PM

I have done free-motion before and I pull the thread up and hold it. I'm using a 90-14 sharp needle like usual. Thanks for your help as I'm at my wits end.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Maybe you have a rough/sharp spot on the needle hole in the plate. I'm assuming the machine sews fine using it for regular sewing -

Try making some stitches turning the flywheel by hand, and see what happens. Sometimes doing this you can hear/feel a problem - feel in that the flywheel gets slightly harder to turn because the thread is binding up.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 PM

I had the same thing happen with one of my 301's and I finally found a stress fracture/crease in the bobbin assembly. I could feel the rough spot with my finger and sanded it down. It took some trial and error, but that did the trick. Have your repair person check the bobbin assembly for rough areas or spots that may be catching and breaking the thread.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I had the same thing happen with one of my 301's and I finally found a stress fracture/crease in the bobbin assembly. I could feel the rough spot with my finger and sanded it down. It took some trial and error, but that did the trick. Have your repair person check the bobbin assembly for rough areas or spots that may be catching and breaking the thread.
I had the same problem with my 401, and like Candace, I sanded it down and it worked fine.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sally J View Post
I have done free-motion before and I pull the thread up and hold it. I'm using a 90-14 sharp needle like usual. Thanks for your help as I'm at my wits end.
Try a topstitch needle of the same size. It has a bigger eye. Also, is the thread getting caught beneath the spool? It should be coming from the back of the spool, unwinding to the left, and the notch in the spool should be on the top side if possible so the thread doesn't catch.

BTW, I have free motioned on quite a few machines and my all-time favorite go-to machine for fmq or line quilting or piecing is the Singer 301. Mine is also beloved so I know how you feel. My portable is named JoyBoy because he is such a joy upon which to sew. My in-cabinet 301 is named Sandra's, because my friend Sandra left it to me in her will. It was her all-time favorite machine also.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 10-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Many, many thanks for all your suggestions. Since yesterday I have
1. Changed to needle from new pack
2. Changed out bobbin and bobbin from even more beloved FW
3. Sewed big and little circles both slowly and also fast
4. Changed out the throat plate from the FW
5. Switched to darning feet
6. Used 3 different brands of good thread
7. Turned flywheel by hand
8. Have an appointment with my sewing machine mechanic
9 Am dosing myself liberally with chamomile tea and considering wine for dinner
No matter what I do the THREAD SHREDS somewhere around hole
Candace and Piepatch-Your idea of a rough spot seem promising
TOMORROW I'LL GET A TOPSTITCH NEEDLE...Thanks criket_iscute...It seems to be my last hope

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks to everybody. You are all great to help an unknown person so much. I really appreciate and Bless You
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM

yes. it is night time. open that wine bottle .....
Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Another vote for a top stitch needle and holding the tail threads gently when you start.