Help Please With Old Singer

Old 05-25-2015, 02:34 AM

Thank you again, for your help.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 AM

Yes and your right they are weird looking. This is sure going to be a learning curve using this machine. I was beginning to feel very guilty at telling my dil to buy it but thanks to everyone's help here there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! lol. I have asked her to send photos so I can show you how nice this machine is.
Thank you for your help.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM

Sassy, I think someone linked the manual for this machine, covers the need to knows pretty well. Also check out the Video Sticky at the Top of the page MUV does a wonderful video on winding the bobbins and also I think loading and threading the machine. The are really no differant to use than any other straight stitch machine. My daughter ( 10 at the time) was having trouble with the new plastic white machine she had been given so I sat down at taught her to sew using my treadle ( same machine as yours ... mine made in 1900 and MUCH uglier shape ) she was able to master this machine in minutes and apply the concepts to her machine. It really is a wonderful steady capable forgiving old machine........ only thing to really watch for is DON'T TURN THEM BACKWARDS... much easier to do on a treadle.... but they break the tread and snarl within one rotation.... does not hurt the machine any but don't even try to "back up " one stitch using the hand wheel... I have found it just does not work ;-)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
....... only thing to really watch for is DON'T TURN THEM BACKWARDS... much easier to do on a treadle.... but they break the tread and snarl within one rotation.... does not hurt the machine any but don't even try to "back up " one stitch using the hand wheel... I have found it just does not work ;-)
What greywuuf said. Mine is a 1908 and this is very true.
Rodney
Old 06-07-2015, 03:11 AM

Thank you greywuuf and Rodney, I will pass this information on.....she has been a bit busy with a new grandaughter!!
My grandaughter just emailed me her buy an old Singer she bought for $8.50!! I am waiting for her to send me the serial number so we can look for a manual for it.