Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help!  Vintage Bamberger's model-Japan made >

Help! Vintage Bamberger's model-Japan made

Help! Vintage Bamberger's model-Japan made

Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Help! Vintage Bamberger's model-Japan made

Hi,I'm cleaning up this machine and when I put the plug in the dual receptacle (machine) the motor starts to run without pressing on the pedal...is it possible the wiring is reversed??? it's not the orginal wiring. I don't want to mess with it without knowing first...if anyone here on the board can help I would appreciate it. Thanks. Honchey
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM

If it is the common cord block as used on 99% of the Japanese made machines, the outlet on the power cord side is for the light. The one on the foot controller side is for the motor.

Try switching outlets.

Joe
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM

I did that and also plugged it in directly to the wall outlet and the motor still spins when plugged in...I don't know what to do next...I don't know if it's worth it to rewire. I think the person that had the machine before me wired it incorrectly...I may switch the wiring in the light/machine outlet and see what happens....

Last edited by Honchey; 10-25-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 AM

First of all QUIT PLUGGING THE MOTOR INTO THE WALL SOCKET, YOU'LL BURN IT OUT! Of course it runs when plugged directly into the wall socket, it's getting 100% power.

A sewing machine motor must be plugged or wired into a controlling device. In other words the foot controller.

Most Japanese machines use a cord set like this:
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Cord...143-SCE143.htm

You have one outlet for the light plug and one for the motor. They are marked. They outlets are wired differently inside. The one marked LIGHT is wired hot all the time, lights have a switch. The one marked MOTOR is wired through the foot controller so the motor can be controlled.

Just stop what you are doing and post some pics of the wiring on your machine. Otherwise you could burn the motor out.

Is it worth it to spend a few dollars to fix an older metal machine? Personally I think that's a silly question. If the machine is a good one, your money ahead to fix it. You CAN'T buy machines like that anymore.

And unless you are very lucky, you don't get perfection in a used machine for nothing.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 10-26-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 AM

I don't know anything about the older machines but saw that it is a Bambergers model and that you are from central Jersey. Haven't seen the Bambergers name in a long time and didn't know they had sold sewing machines. For those who aren't from Jersey Bambergers was a big department store in NJ and many years ago was taken over by Macy's. When I first moved to Jersey in early 1960's I would take the bus to Newark to do my Christmas shopping in Bambergers. There were no strip malls, discount stores or online shopping way back then, LOL! May in Jersey
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
I don't know anything about the older machines but saw that it is a Bambergers model and that you are from central Jersey. Haven't seen the Bambergers name in a long time and didn't know they had sold sewing machines. For those who aren't from Jersey Bambergers was a big department store in NJ and many years ago was taken over by Macy's. When I first moved to Jersey in early 1960's I would take the bus to Newark to do my Christmas shopping in Bambergers. There were no strip malls, discount stores or online shopping way back then, LOL! May in Jersey
Ahhhhh, the GOOD old days.

Joe
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 AM

Hi May in Jersey, Another "Jersey Girl"..I used to take the bus to Bamberger's to shop way back when I was a child...I loved to ride the elevators in that grand old building...I wonder if it's still standing...so much has changed in that shopping district. Where are you located? I'm in Freehold Township...

Hi Joe, I will not plug it in directly again...I have plugged the motor wire into the machine outlet not the light outlet and it still runs constantly.. .someone else has changed the wiring and I'm almost positive that it hasn't been done correctly or the outlet for the light/machine is damaged somehow...I have quite a few vintage machines and they run beautiful after a little TLC. I intended to give it to my sister...now I have to retrieve it ...take some photos and show you the wiring...It's a very pretty machine and has several zig zag stitches...this is the first machine that I've saved from the trash that is giving me a hard time....Thanks for your input I appreciate it...Honchey
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Honchey,

"IF" the machine has the standard cord block like I posted the link to, and it still runs when plugged into the "motor" receptacle, it could be a bad rewire, a bad foot controller or bad wiring.

I've rewired several cord blocks and they can get messed up if the insulation deteriorates like so many do.
Pictures help a bunch in on line diagnostics.

Joe
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
I don't know anything about the older machines but saw that it is a Bambergers model and that you are from central Jersey. Haven't seen the Bambergers name in a long time and didn't know they had sold sewing machines. For those who aren't from Jersey Bambergers was a big department store in NJ and many years ago was taken over by Macy's. When I first moved to Jersey in early 1960's I would take the bus to Newark to do my Christmas shopping in Bambergers. There were no strip malls, discount stores or online shopping way back then, LOL!
May in Jersey
I am originally a "Jersey Girl" too having grown up in Linden, but my grandmother lived in Newark for a while and she always took me to Bambergers. Great memories.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM

I have to go to De to retrieve the machine ...probably in a couple of weeks...I will take some photos and show you...I do want to save this machine....