Hints on buying Featherweight

Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM

If they won't allow you to try the machine, that is a big red flag. Like the others said, there are small things that can be fixed. The most usual is the needle is in wrong. The flat side to the left, not back side. The little finger in the bobbin area must be straight up. If its not, then the needle plate needs to come off to right it, then it should work. Those are the two most overlooked things. It won't sew unless those things are correct. New bobbin cases or vintage ones start about $30. However the lack of one can hide other concerns with the machine. A price reduction is definitely in order. Being hard-nosed won't sell their machine. Try again, armed with the facts. Two hundred and up prices on Ebay won't give you much condition information. Some buy real junk and are bitterly disappointed. I haven't ever gotten a really bad machine there. Have done much worse on my own, buying on impulse, turned by a pretty machine that was low-priced, but needing service. Our service starts at $75.00, so that will tell if the machine really cost too much.
Be polite, nice and reasonable when negotiating. Explain "why" you are placing your particular offer, i.e. the machine's lack of X, Y and Z. Explain what it will cost you to have a professional correct the condition of the machine. They may be looking for a "fish", but you don't have to volunteer. Good luck.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 05-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:10 PM

I am not a great expert on sewing machines, but there are a couple of things that really say "Pass it by" to me as far as a machine (any machine) is concerned. First, many machines on e-Bay have pictures only of the back of the machine. I don't want to see the back. If the seller doesn't post a frontal photograph, that signals that there's something wrong with the machine. If I'm looking at a machine in person, I have to try the machine for myself. If the seller won't allow that, then I can't get away from there quickly enough! Someone posted about the machine being clean -- if it has more than just dust, I would tend to stay away from it! If the seller doesn't care enough about his product to keep it in climate-controlled conditions, there's no telling how long it's been sitting outdoors in all kinds of weather! NO WAY! JMHO

Jeanette
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 AM

I *just* got my first FW a couple days ago, so my knowledge is limited and 99.9% comes from what I've learned here and on Nova Montgomery's site.

One tip I picked up from her site is to check the brushes in the motor. If they don't come out with the spring and you can't fish them out with it, apparently that's an indication of soot build up, which happens when the motor is run dry. This (according to Nova's video) means the motor is on its way to needing to be replaced. If nothing else it can be a sign that the owner didn't really do the proper maintenance on the machine.

I have been watching a lot of her videos - you might want to watch some of her maintenance videos, she has some really great info and might help you figure out what is a deal breaker and what you can take care of on your own.

Hahah, and I just noticed how I worded my first sentence there. "I just got my first FW..." Oh man. I'm in deep doo-doo. I thought I only wanted the one but apparently the collector part of my brain is already scheming to get another one, LOL.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 AM

Sewnoma. I am with you. I had 2 but loaned one and it was never seen again. I saw a white one several months ago
and have thought of it since, if I could have financially I would have bought it that day.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Hahah, and I just noticed how I worded my first sentence there. "I just got my first FW..." Oh man. I'm in deep doo-doo. I thought I only wanted the one but apparently the collector part of my brain is already scheming to get another one, LOL.
LOL, I'm right there with you. I have a black one and while it runs just fine and it's so cute, I like it but I don't love it. Just too small for me to take it seriously. On the other hand, I would like to have a couple more in different colors. And I'm not even a Singer gal!

Cari
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Kathleen. thanks for the great hints.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 PM

One of the obvious things is the cosmetic condition. Is there a lot of wear or does it look abused? A lot of wear isn't necessarily bad as long as the price reflects the condition but things like corrosion, bubbles in the finish, etc can indicate more serious problems.
If you're shopping for a custom painted one check the workmanship. For the money those sell for the work needs to be first rate.
Rodney
Old 05-29-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I guess I neglected to say that I will be buying on-line. I am unable to get around much so that's the route I will have to go. I saw some on ebay, and some of the sellers have 100% good reviews. I hope that's a good indication that they can be trusted.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by margiepc View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I guess I neglected to say that I will be buying on-line. I am unable to get around much so that's the route I will have to go. I saw some on ebay, and some of the sellers have 100% good reviews. I hope that's a good indication that they can be trusted.
Be sure to look at what the person has sold as well. If they have dealt with a lot of sewing machines, their opinion as to condition and buyer evaluation of shipping are likely to be a decent indicator. If, on the other hand, they deal with clothing, radios and old tools, anything goes.