View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM
DonnaMiller

If they won't allow you to try the machine, that is a big red flag. Like the others said, there are small things that can be fixed. The most usual is the needle is in wrong. The flat side to the left, not back side. The little finger in the bobbin area must be straight up. If its not, then the needle plate needs to come off to right it, then it should work. Those are the two most overlooked things. It won't sew unless those things are correct. New bobbin cases or vintage ones start about $30. However the lack of one can hide other concerns with the machine. A price reduction is definitely in order. Being hard-nosed won't sell their machine. Try again, armed with the facts. Two hundred and up prices on Ebay won't give you much condition information. Some buy real junk and are bitterly disappointed. I haven't ever gotten a really bad machine there. Have done much worse on my own, buying on impulse, turned by a pretty machine that was low-priced, but needing service. Our service starts at $75.00, so that will tell if the machine really cost too much.
Be polite, nice and reasonable when negotiating. Explain "why" you are placing your particular offer, i.e. the machine's lack of X, Y and Z. Explain what it will cost you to have a professional correct the condition of the machine. They may be looking for a "fish", but you don't have to volunteer. Good luck.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 05-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.