Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How do you clean a White Treadle? >

How do you clean a White Treadle?

How do you clean a White Treadle?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Default How do you clean a White Treadle?

I bought a White treadle when I was first married with the idea of sewing on it. I never did and now 40 years later I would like to get it up and running. I have been unable to find anyone who can/will work on it. Our last known repairman said he can't get up anymore when he is on the floor working on it.

Any suggestions, videos, resources, etc. you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:13 AM

I'm sure you will get enough info and help on this forum for a DIY fixup. If you can post a few photos that is always helpful. If you oil and clean the machine and try to turn the mechanism it should be fairl easy to see where the problem lies. Is it the treadle in particular that's the problem, or the machine itself? There's lots blogs and videos on youtube, and I'm sure there is someone who can work on your machine near you if you need it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-12-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Your machine probably doesn't need much more than a good cleaning to work. You can easily do the work yourself. Set aside a few hours and get to know your machine better. Take a look at the sticky on cleaning machines. Muv's videos are great.

The treadle irons can be wiped down with sewing machine oil and put a drop of oil in the joints where it moves.

New leather belts are available from Sew-Classic.com if you need one. 3/16" diameter is the most common size for domestic machines. They also carry bobbin tires. If your machine has been sitting a long time both will likely need to be replaced.
Don't be tempted to use anything but sewing machine oil or Tri-Flow in your machine. Other oils will dry up and stick things together, they're also too thick.

If your machine has been sitting a long time and doesn't want to turn, oil it and spin it over once or twice then wait. When you pass by the machine, spin it again. Eventually the new oil will penetrate and the machine will free up. It can take a few days though so be patient.
I have a PDF copy of a White Rotary manual I can send you. I don't remember where I got it, maybe ISMACS.

I'm impressed with the quality of the old Whites. It should be a good machine for you.
Rodney
Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM

They're not that hard to clean up, mostly just oiling and such. I have a 1917 White Rotary treadle, my absolute favorite machine out of the herd. Don't use any harsh cleaners, you'll quickly remove and/or silver the decals. I use sewing machine oil(SMO) to clean my machines, use a light touch and soft t-shirt scraps.

Here's my machine,her name is Suzie Rose, my friend's dad is repairing the drawer for me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/391684...7637458806455/
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
...Here's my machine, her name is Suzie Rose....
Sharon in Texas
I always have to smile when I see your machine with its drink cup holder. It just looks like it’s ready for the long haul to me.

My Grandma’s White VSIII treadle setting next to my recliner has its top right drawer completely full of miniature candy bars...some of my wife's favorites, and some of mine....

The grand kids haven't found them yet, because their mother told them not to mess with the sewing machines. (She hasn't found them yet either.)

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 10-13-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 PM

I also love Sharon's photo of her machine, it looks so homey and what a great thing a drink cup holder, that is too cool. My treadle looks the same although I think Sharon's is much prettier.