Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How do you spiff up a Featherweight case ? >

How do you spiff up a Featherweight case ?

How do you spiff up a Featherweight case ?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Default How do you spiff up a Featherweight case ?

My featherweight case is looking a little shabby. Any ideas on how to clean it up without harming it ? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how to clean a featherweight case but Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.blogspot.com has a segment on mod podging an old singer case.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 PM

I can tell you how to clean the musty smell, I would guess that you could take some black paint--I don't know if they used oil base or acrylic base, so you might like to look into it. I guess oil base is always safe.

The inside I would think would be pretty much the same touch it up with an oil base paint and let it dry well. A tip I have heard is to never pick up your case by the handle. Carry your case like you would a wooden box. I think it is made of plywood, covered with? My machine came without a box! You can buy a new box for about $50 from Nova Montgomery.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 AM

From the feel of the case, it feels like some sort of cardboard. I really want to keep it as pristine as possible. I don't want to paint it or decorate it, it's not in that bad of condition.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 AM

Clean the outside with a leather/vinyl cleaning product and when dry shoe polish will cover most scuffs. The inside can be cleaned the same way and then sit it in direct sun or put a bag of charcoal inside to remove musty orders. I always store my cases with a bar of Zest still in the wrapper, but opened on one end. The cases are made of very nice wood with dovetail corners. I've seen them with the fabric removed and varnished. I've had some tough looking cases, but none bad enough to try it.

Last edited by sjdal; 10-13-2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Add to it
Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 AM

The FW that I received after my MIL's passing was completely wrapped in black sticky electrical tape!!! I'm almost afraid to remove it for fear the whole case will fall apart. Since it's already 'compromised' I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 AM

look at this post http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t199606.html
Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM

My "sewing machine guy" recommended "Tuff Stuff" to clean the outside of the case. Its an upholstery cleaner available in the automotive department of Wal-Mart or at the auto parts store. Its about $3 a can and it works great. I have also found many uses for this cleaner around the house.

Colleen
Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Default How to spiff up a featherweight

I had 2 cases that I fixed. I re-glued the fabric that was torn with good old Elmer's white glue and let it dry overnight. Some little pieces of the original fabric were missing so I took a black magic marker and filled in anything that wasn't black. At that point it still looked pretty bad so I took KIWI brand scuff cover and went over it with that and then buffed with a soft shoe brush and cloth. It looks great. I couldn't believe how well they turned out. These are the cases. One before and one after.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00375-copy.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 11:19 AM

i had my FW serviced and he spiffed up the case really nice. don't know what he did, but i made a quilted case cover so it stays that way. ince I take it to quilting every week and to any retreats I go to, it travels often and I didn't want it to get any more beat up.i can post a picture when I get home if anyone is interested.