I am do dissapointed.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Default I am do dissapointed.

I drove an hour and half with a smile on my face this morning knowing where some older machines are. I was hoping I could talk the guy down on the Universal machine. He wanted $80. This was at a pawn shop type place. so I pulled the machine out and the case was in bad shape so I picked it up and carried it to the counter.

This machine looks like the Singer 15-91. I was hoping since it was not a Singer he would go down.

No such luck. When they plugged in the machine the motor ran but the needle did not go up and down. But I could turn the wheel and it would go. the bobbin case was missing, and the rubber wheel that helps wind the bobbin is stretched out. I was hoping with all that he would come down.

Nope...he said he was not selling it as a working machine, he is selling it as an "Antique" He looked on "Ebay" and that is what they are selling for. I told him I wanted to fix it up and use it. He said he would come down $5..it was then I noticed the bobbin casing was not there. He said he would come down $5 more but he was selling it as an "Antique"

He said he had a couple of older machines..and they were in Bentwood boxes. I made him pull one off the shelf. And it was ruff. no key for the box. He wanted $135 and would not come down at all because he was selling them as "Antiques" the 2nd machine I didn't even look at because the box was falling apart.

So I told him I was not interested and walked out...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Don't get disheartened....this is all part of the "hunt". Look at on-line trading posts, local yard sales, charity stores....it's surprising what turns up where. Don't be to quick to part with your money....the treasure is out there...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 PM

My parents owned 3 pawn shops as I was growing up. They are so good to work at, but no so good to buy at most of the time. Prices are generally sky high, but sometimes they don't research an item and it can be found for cheep. Try not to get discouraged, try going to thrift stores, garage sales and online adds.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Apparently he thinks "antiques" = $$$. A serious antiquer doesn't want a broken down piece. I doubt he'll get what he's asking for those machines. Keep looking. You'll find find a machine for the right price.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM

I've never found a good deal at a pawnshop...on anything.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM

sounds like an antique boat anchor, I bet he didn't pay antique price to the previous owner.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

you are lucky he was not just a bit nicer......
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM

The perfect machine will come along and you will be glad you waited for it.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

My FIL used to go to the pawn shops the first of the month or the last of the year and he would get stuff cheaper. Some times they just want it off their inventory. I have not had any luck at all with pawn shops. They are all over the place though.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM

Walking away was the right thing to do. I've never had any dealings with pawn shops but they aren't the only places where difficult people happen to be. There are still machines out there.... patience is a gift..... I come across the most wonderful items at the least predictable times. I like to keep in mind that the most perfect machine for me is out there waiting..... just time is keeping us apart.