Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I Am My Brother's Keeper

PINK!!! What a find. What is the problem with the bobbin winder???
    Sweet Caroline

Hi Patrice...when you close it up, try leaving a box of the refridgerator baking soda in it...it is a screened box so that if it spills....it isn't all over. That may help with the odor.

The Brother is pretty much a universal machine....they are all pretty much the same with a different face plate...
    You may be able to find an old book from other brands that look alike.

Try a wooden shim to level that machine out....it worked on an old machine I used to have.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I LOVE your BROTHER!!! I just fixed one up and sold it I would call that a lavender or mauve depending on how the light hits it. The one I had was in pristine condition and these days, that scares me - I was right the tension spring was not in the right place so the poor machine wouldn't sew. Does the bobbin winder tire not turn - some times one will 'freeze' - put a little Triflow oil on the hole between the spindle and the tire and finger turn it until is loosens up. It is very heavy - it will fit in the same cabinet some Singer machines fit. The one I had was a neat little machine. Feel free to put a picture of yours here: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines
    Last edited by miriam; 12-11-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Just beautiful! I love pink sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    Patrice, I love the machine and the color. Lucky girl to have such a machine and from your dad, too.
    Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Senior Member oldtnquiltinglady's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Patrice, one of my sisters is an antiques finder/collector, and her secret to the "stink" is lots of time, and lots of newspapers (she says the ink will absorb the smell) and I guess it works. I collect sewing machines, and like you say, they can sometimes smell bad (but I was mostly aware of the cabinets and carrying cases). One of the ladies mentioned outside in the sun and air for a few days and that might work, but I can't tell where you are located. It might be too cold or wet to leave it outside for any extended amount of time. Anyway, I agree with you about the Brother--I have one that looks a lot like it and I can remember it being a good sewer. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

You might try some bounce sheets in the carrying case or just sit on a porch that is enclosed so it is protected. What a beauty.

I LOVE these old Brother Machines. Have 3 or 4 of them. Real Workhorses, and pretty too! Have fun with her. Hope you can get the smell out without too much trouble. I've gotten some from Smokers, and Phewwww! But they do clean up alright.

Blog Entries
    i think the "tire" on the bobbin winder does not engage completely with the bigger wheel.
    does that description make sense at all?
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: patricej@quiltingboard.com

Blog Entries
    I could swear they changed the size of the replacement tires to a tad small. Yes you are making sense. I don't know if sew-classic or one of the other on line places would have bigger tires or not.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast