Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast >

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 AM

Default I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

I would like to see how many men are collecting vintage sewing machines. If you don't mind gentlemen please reply to this thread with the number of machines you have in your collection. Tell me the machines you like best and if you sew with them. Do you quilt or make other things? We already know most of the ladies but don't much about know the men. This is just for fun. Thank you.

I will start. I have 60+ machines and my favorite is the German hand cranks. I quilt and make all our costumes for civil war reeactments on these old machines. I have to slow down on the collecting because my wife said no more room in the inn. Right!!!!!
Skip
Old 03-09-2015, 05:31 AM

I don't know if you want to include my husband. He's a regular lurker on this board, and is the one that got me started here. He has his own collection, with just a few that I pretend are mine. I think he's got around 15-20 machines, and can't pass up a decent shape CHEAP machine. His latest was the Wards Singer 15 Clone made by Happy. He is my OSMG and is getting very good at cleaning and adjusting machines.

His favorite is his Singer 201 and he sews a lot of "gear" and is getting quite good at it. So far he's shown no interest in making quilts - though I keep telling him it's good practice!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 AM

Yes Cathey you husband is welcome. I think this is great.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Glenn, would love to see some pictures of your civil war costumes that you've made. do you make any revolutionary period clothing or strictly civil war ?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Glenn,

I've got at least 60+ machines. My record book goes well into the 80s but many have been rehomed.

My favorite genre is treadles. But due to space problems I don't get to use them as much as I would like to.
My favorite machine is the Singer 66. I have 3 in treadles and a number of e-machines.

I also like the old American made White machines that rotate opposite from all the others. Especially the colored crinkle paint ones. They sew so nice and are very well made machines.

I'm also into SEWMOR machines. I've got a small collection going and always go for those when I see them.

To date I've made 2 complete quilts, well I made the tops, and assisted my wife in quilting them. 2 other queen size quite tops that aren't finished yet, and a lap quilt.
I've also made an unknown number of my Whacky Bags, several sewing machine covers for the wooden cabinets, and three or four quilted covers for portable machines.

I'm not really sure what direction I'm going with the machines. I should specialize, but haven't found that nitch I want yet.

Joe
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Ok here is one of the gowns made for the wife using a 1870 Singer 12 or did I use the Weed machine can't remember.[ATTACH=CONFIG]513059[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pats-gown-001.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Skip,

That is gorgeous. It looks like one of the gowns Disney might have used in Cinderella.

Joe
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Skip,

That is gorgeous. It looks like one of the gowns Disney might have used in Cinderella.

Joe
+1. That gown is incredible.

My machines? Around 20 so far. My favorites are my Singer 15 clone "Rodney" machine, My 1904 model 27 treadle and my Singer 401A. I also have a weakness for Singer 99s and most likely other 3/4 size machines. I'll buy pretty much any cheap machine that catches my eye but in general the old black straight stitch machines interest me the most. I like the Japanese dashboard machines with all the bling but if I have one of those next to an old black machine to choose from I'll usually grab the black one first. I also like almost any "oddball" design.
The newer white colored machines from the early 70s on are mostly a bit boring to me-at least compared to the others.

I've completed two quilts, am working on another and am learning to sew clothes. Nothing on Skip's level though.
Rodney
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok here is one of the gowns made for the wife using a 1870 Singer 12 or did I use the Weed machine can't remember.
Really amazing work! I have 27, according to my spreadsheet. Favourites are Bernina 730, Singer 320K2 and 201K23

Mike
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

Number of machines... Ok... Working ones only...