Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast >

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

Old 12-19-2022, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok here is one of the gowns made for the wife using a 1870 Singer 12 or did I use the Weed machine can't remember.[ATTACH=CONFIG]513059[/ATTACH]
Lovely gown! I have a Weed machine in a lovely original cabinet. It's missing a few parts but I'm hopeful that it will eventually find all it's parts and sew again. Mine is the only Weed I've ever found. It's good to know there are others out there.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok here is one of the gowns made for the wife using a 1870 Singer 12 or did I use the Weed machine can't remember.Attachment 513059

Wow. Stunning.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:59 PM

Well, add me to this list. Like Great White my favourite machine my Singer 319 which came to me partly frozen and as noisy as a jackhammer. I've spent a great deal of time cleaning and adjusting it. I did a partial restoration of the foot pedal, I restored the motor, retimed and then ultimately changed the hook assembly, and removed a number of straight pins that were stuck into the oiling holes and had corroded. I'm sure there's other work I've done on the machine that I don't recall.

I've also partly disassembled and restored a Singer 15, that one was completely frozen and the work included disassembly of the bottom of the machine, rewiring and pretty complete restoration of the motor and the foot pedal.

At the moment my collection is a small one. Two Kenmores that are surprisingly good machines and which needed very little work, an Elna which needed a gear replacement, a National that was a gift from a 100 year old neighbour, a 98 year old Singer 128 that needed rewiring, a Singer 329 that needed a foot pedal refurbishing and a plastic geared Singer with a broken gear that I'm still fooling with.

I've also repaired a Bernina and a Featherweight for a neighbour.

As for sewing, I've done some basic straight stitch repairs to some torn clothing including a patch or two, but otherwise, my sewing experience is limited to test sewing when I repair or adjust a machine.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:28 PM

I'll add myself to the list! 26 years old and have been getting into collecting machines in the past couple years. I now own a Singer 201k (with centenary badge) that i cleaned up from being in someone's garage for decades, two 99ks (one electric, one hand crank), and my mystery Peerless treadle (not a white peerless, I'm not quite sure what it is).
As for sewing, I'm a costume technician! I quite like my 201k for getting through heavy fabric, but have also used it for linen and softer cottons.