I bought a Bernina 930

Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 PM

I do love a Texas accent! I lived in Houston for about 3 weeks.

So the only time you CAN'T turn the handwheel by hand, is when the lid is off, or the bobbin winder lid is open. Other than that, you should be able to turn it like normal.

The basting device does freeze-up if you don't use it. But it's nothing that a little WD-40 won't fix. Now the guys on here get up tight when I use WD-40, but it's something we use every day at the shop. The only thing that works better is Dawn dishsoap. LOL!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:26 PM

I have seen a few websites that recommend wd40 for cleaning and then they say use some of the sewing machine oil (I ordered some the other night but I can't remember the name, triflex?).
I've recently fallen in love with older fans. Like box fans from the 50's All metal parts and the kind you have to oil. I use 3 in 1 motor oil because it's non detergent. And I bet you're thinking that it is in a big motor oil container but no, it's in the same size as the regular 3 in 1. I wonder if you can use that on sewing machines
I really hope when I get the screw for the handwheel everything magically works.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM

I think there's two versions of the 3 in 1 motor oil and according the the experts only one of them is acceptable for sewing machines. I would however suggest either Triflow or Finish Line Ceramic Wet lube, they are perfect for machines with plastic and metal gears, any machine really. They are the only lubricans I know that offer an improvement on the basic oil.

For the spray can stuff, I haven't had anything bad happen when I've used them. There are loads of them, and they all tend to be very light penetrating oils. I have a can of Weldtite TF2 with telfon, it doesn't leave anything sticky behind as it dries up, and it flushes out all kinds of grime a bit quicker than regular oil.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-31-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Stick with the Tri-flo oil. The machines need a light oil. I have cleaned some pretty weird oil out of machines. 3-in-1 works as long as you keep the machine moving. When that stuff dries up the machine won't move at all and you'll have to clean it all out. I prefer not to use spray anything on the chance some might go in me.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 PM

I've taken everyone's advice and introduced The Boss to "Triflow Superior Lubricant," and he really likes it. He thinks it's a little too thick for using on the hook, but everything else, he thinks it's great on. Says he used to use a lot of Triflow (the spray kind) as a motorcycle mechanic.

The machines that have 3 in 1 oil on them seem to get this black, sticky layer. We had a serger in the shop that the woman used OLIVE OIL on. It was soooooooo frozen up, we about gave up hope. We figured we had nothing to loose, so put some Dawn dishsoap on it. And it worked! I've also used Dawn dishsoap on a Kenmore feed linkage. Some of this stuff, you really have to make a concerted effort to make sure you remove every speck of it before you re-oil.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:22 PM

I believe the 3 in 1 motor oil (it's in a blue metal dispenser) is lighter than the normal 3 in 1 (red metal dispenser) but I should get my TriFlow tomorrow. You can tell the Bernina oil is a light oil.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 PM

You only want to use CLEAR sewing machine oil. Don't use the 3 in 1 motor oil. Bernina, Brewer and Singer oil are all great. They're just a clear sewing machine oil. And the Triflow has Teflon in it.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM

I have oiled all of the moving parts and replaced the handwheel screw. I replaced the wheel and the top of the machine and it's a tad easier to turn, but far from normal.

NEW QUESTION:
The bottom belt wheel which looks like a fan blade and is attached to the motor...should the shaft have any movement other than turning the belt? Is it supposed to have a little play that let's you move it up and down and sideways?
I have taken off the belt and when I turn the fan blade gear that is directly attached to the motor it is not smooth at all. Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't it spin freely and without any noise?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:14 PM

That's not good when the fan pulley doesn't turn easily! That would mean that the bearings are froze-up. You could work some Tri-flow into the bearings, and it might take you a couple weeks to work it free. Or you could work a few drops of WD-40 into the bearings, and if it's gonna work, it will work in about 10 minutes. It's hard to say if the motor hasn't already been damaged beyond repair.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 AM

My husband asked if I was still working on the machine and I showed him how easily the handwheel turned without the lower belt attached and then the play in the motor. He said it looked like the bearings were shot. Can you just buy a motor without the circuit board? If it's too expensivery this just became a parts machine for ebay.