Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 930 Accord Electronic >

Bernina 930 Accord Electronic

Bernina 930 Accord Electronic

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Does anyone have this machine? I was happily sewing away on it doing my star blocks when the arm froze. The needle wouldn't go up and down. I had never had this happen to me in all my years of sewing, so now I have learned a new thing.

Being mechanically inclined, I proceeded to mess with it. All the info I could get on the web, told me to take it to a dealer for service.

Well it's my machine and I payed for it and why can't I do what he is going to do and charge me 200.00 and then some? lol

Well if anyone wants to venture down this road with me, let me know and I will post what I did. I think this will work for any sewing machine.

BTW, I did fix it and now it's humming....
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Well, I am impressed.
Why not share with all of us?
Marilyn
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
Well, I am impressed.
Why not share with all of us?
Marilyn
Ok, This is for the 930 record. The problem is, the stitching arm or the needle bar, that make the needle go up and down, is either dirty or clogged up with some oil or dust or just plain use or whatever and some of it has gotten into the two round braces that hold the bar.

Loosen the two screws of the side plate on the left of the machine, where the light is and lift plate off. Get some WD-40 and spray it onto a q-tip. You will need several. Do not spray into the machine. You can blow the dust out with air if needed or take a brush to it.

Take the needle and foot off the machine. Now, put your hand under where the needle goes and with the other hand on the turn wheel. Push the needle bar and turn the wheel at the same time, do it carefully and you will feel a give, you will need to push under the needle bar a bit hard to loosen it while turning the wheel.

Now take your q-tip and start cleaning the bar on all sides and it will be a bit ackward. I bend the q-tip and get into all the tight corners. I used several tips and they came out black. I kept checking the bar and it was moving up and down with just a little stick. I kept moving it up and down so it would pick up whatever was inside the two braces surrounding it.

I then lowered the bar all the way down using the wheel and this way the entire bar is exposed, except for a little bit and cleaned it well.

Then I oiled the two braces (for lack of a better word) with just one drop of oil and now it runs as smooth as silk.

Do this at your own risk. I am not afraid to try anything and have done all my own maintainance for years but I am by no means a professional service person lol.

I also took the top off, blew it out and oiled certain place that I know to do.

It is always recommeded to take your machine to service but this is in case you have no money and need the machine and it is a quick fix and the needle bar is the same in all machines and needs a cleaning now and then especially if you sew a lot like I do.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Right On, rosy. That's an "atta girl".
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM

Hi Rosy. I also have a 930 Record. And I have a problem the repair people cannot fix but maybe you can help!! The thread keeps popping out of the take up lever. This causes problems with the bobbin thread jamming up. Maybe someone has run into this issue before and can help me out. The machine is great running otherwise and I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
Thank!
Alice
Old 11-20-2021, 08:16 AM

Default Thread pop

Originally Posted by asiler48 View Post
Hi Rosy. I also have a 930 Record. And I have a problem the repair people cannot fix but maybe you can help!! The thread keeps popping out of the take up lever. This causes problems with the bobbin thread jamming up. Maybe someone has run into this issue before and can help me out. The machine is great running otherwise and I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
Thank!
Alice
Skipped a thread guide? Stiff, heavy thread? Top tension way off (find red line in window)?
Hole in needle too small for thread gauge?

Yes, very belated answer... but I thought I'd toss in my 2cents' worth since problem was a rare one..
Old 11-20-2021, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by asiler48 View Post
Thank!
Alice
Here is a youtube vidoe on how to thread a bernina 930 record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEmCGdM6a4
Old 11-20-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Here is a youtube vidoe on how to thread a bernina 930 record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEmCGdM6a4
Good call! I don't really think about that anymore.. along, across, down, hook, down down out...

Old 11-21-2021, 08:14 AM

I've used super glue to hold a tiny washer in place over the take-up slot, on a couple old Kenmores. Works pretty good.