if machines could talk....

Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 PM

Default if machines could talk....

I have been sewing dog blankets for the rescue I work with on my 99 HC. It sews like a dream and I an so enjoying it. But I wonder what this machine has seen. I think it was in Germany during WW2 as it is a 1935 model, has German manual, and European electric plug. It just makes me wonder who used her.. What their life was like... What happened to them. I guess that is why I love the old machines.. Using them is such a connection to the past...

lol.. No wonder my family thinks I am nuts...
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 AM

If machines could talk .... I'd sit down with my mothers old HOTHER clone (my avatar pic) and find out it's history. I know it back to the 1970s, but before that I don't know.
When did she get it? Where did she get it? Is it the black machine I had to help her get the needle out of her finger?
And what is the significance of the HOTHER badge; who, what, where, was the entity known as HOTHER located?

That kind of things.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 01-25-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I love them too for that reason. I think they all have such interesting stories. Where did they start out? What was made on them? Who made it? When and why did they end up "out to pasture" so to speak. All the rough spots, worn decals, etc., to me are part of the charm.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM

Default If only they could talk!

I too wonder what, who, why, where and when my machines went through in their lifetime. My most curious was my 29-4. The gentleman (probably) worked long days and weekends fixing harnesses and boots, probably for a couple of dollars a week back in 1916 when the machine was made. When I finished the restoration, I put it in my den in front of the fireplace and would sit in my recliner contemplating what the old girl has been through. My most interesting machine was given to me by a friends wife. It was a 221-1, all original and in pristine condition. The story given to me was her Grandfather, while in the Air force back in 1948 purchased it for his wife. It seems that the wife did very little sewing and put it away till her daughter, my friends mother, acquired it in the 1960's. Since she did not sew, back in the closet it went. About 20 yrs. ago my friend received it from her mom, and since Wendy did not sew back in the closet it went! Well her husband needed a 29-4 for his leather work and after considerable deliberation on my part, I sold him the old girl. Upon leaving, Wendy said wait, she had something to give me since she knew I collected old machines. As soon as I saw that black case, I said its either a Featherweight 221 or 222. Sure enough it was 222-1. On researching the S/N it was mfg. Oct. 10, 1948 and when I told her the date she exclaimed "That is my Mothers birthdate!!" Well with that said, I could not accept it, but, made her an offer, let me display it for her and upon my death, my wife/children can dispose of everything I own, except the 221 which must be returned to Wendy and she and I have notarized papers to that effect with a copy with my will.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM

I have my Mothers 306W, when I think about the decades of hard constant use by her. I use it ....not quite as hard as Mom. I think if this machine could talk it would say "do you think maybe now I could take a break?". When I think about machines we have in our homes in general ( refrigerators , furnaces, etc.) .... this machine worked harder and has outlasted every other machine/appliance by sometimes as much as four or five times maybe more.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

My 401 isn't as old as your machines but I ran into the host of the estate sale where I purchased it. She told me who the owner was and some of the homes she decorated with her designs. I may not have been able to speak with her but the machine was given to her when she started really getting into design and needed a machine that would be able to do delicate drapes and dressed to upholstering furniture and bedding. My 401 is still going strong. I don't make her work as hard, I'm not that good. But I feel fortunate to be able to know some of the history of my machine and the work she has done. I have seen up close the work she has performed. DH is very impressed. He grew up using one just like her. Only theirs was not the desk cabinet. Love my Slant!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 AM

I always wonder too, especially the ones that have a LOT of wear. I like to imagine all the different possibilities; all the different things that might have been created under that needle. All the fashions and fabrics of the past that might have slid over that machine's bed...

I also like to imagine that whoever used it got pleasure out of it, but I'm sure that wasn't always the case, LOL
Old 01-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Speaking of wear -- what would cause this type of damage, I wonder.... Tomorrow we are getting another one of these and the bed looks equally bruised..... This one is 120 years old.

What on earth happened?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507898[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 28k_07.jpg  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 PM

What on earth happened? caused by rust
Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 AM

It does not appear to be rust -- it's hard to tell, but it almost appears as though some type of liquid was dropped or splattered on it. Then, again, if I were 120 years old, I hate to think what I would look like! LOL! The machine does not appear to have that much rust -- I'll leave thisto some of our resident experts!

Jeanette