Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
If you have given up on your Touch and Sew >

If you have given up on your Touch and Sew

If you have given up on your Touch and Sew

Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Default If you have given up on your Touch and Sew

I came across this Youtube video for a Touch and Sew and I am so happy I did!!! After watching this video I truly believe these wonderful machines will work properly for any seamstress or sewist when they fully understand how to work the machine properly.

It definitely needs to have the cams all activated and deactivated in proper order and all need to be dialed in each and every time which may take some time but I believe this machine was waaaay ahead of it's time and underappreciated. I bought mine for 15.00 at a thrift store just because I was curious. I didn't plan on keeping it but now...

I luv her. I have named my girl CHANCE because she got a second chance with me. and I got a chance to learn that sometimes bad raps are not deserved in the sewing machine world. JMHO
Enjoy the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttXADxJqJiA
Attached Thumbnails 450556d1386470357-036.jpg  
Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the link ! I am an avid Touch N Sew owner and user !
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 PM

I think the bad rap is from all the plastic and prone to breaking parts.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM

I love the Touch and Sew machines I have owned. My MIL gave me her DM's machine, a 620 purchased in the '60's. I literally wore it out. I replaced some parts from my DM's machine also purchased in the '60's. Her's had a broken gear and my DD tried to replace it but could not get the timing right. I now have one I got at a thrift store. My DM said her's never worked right...but I sewed on it from fifth grade until I made my wedding dress on it in 1974. I never had a problem. In fact, I used it every time I visited until it met its demise. I now have two Featherweights, and use one every day. I have found that the new bobbins do not work in the older machines. Don't know why. My DS has a TnS and hers will not take the new bobbins either. Otherwise, the machines were a wonder when they were introduced and still work for me. I use the cams and all the settings. I have even used two needles and made fancy stitches with them.

But I have decided that even if I did not have a machine I would still sew. It's in my blood, what can I say.

I will have to watch the video and see what it has to teach me. Your machine is beautiful.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Thanks, I have only read about them recently while researching mine. Mostly people complain of not being able to use the cams, the bobbins, winding them, tension problems and more. The video showed me they just need to be 'dialed in' and then they work great. The same kind of problems exists on my other forum where we melt glass into beads and other things. Some people think they get bad glass or a bad torch but most of the time it is just human error.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for that video - you saved me a lot of frustration. That is not intuitive at all is it? I will have to acquire a manual for the one in my shop.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Tip on bobbins--I always take mine apart and then screw them back together tight but not too tight. This really helps with newly purchased bobbins whether they be Singer or generics. I always do a 'test run' on new ones--meaning I only wind a bit of thread on them to see if they sew well. Be sure edges of bobbins are smooth--you can use an emery board to smooth out any rough spots. Hope this helps .
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Thank you for that video - you saved me a lot of frustration. That is not intuitive at all is it? I will have to acquire a manual for the one in my shop.
You are so welcome, It helped me a whole bunch too.

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
Tip on bobbins--I always take mine apart and then screw them back together tight but not too tight. This really helps with newly purchased bobbins whether they be Singer or generics. I always do a 'test run' on new ones--meaning I only wind a bit of thread on them to see if they sew well. Be sure edges of bobbins are smooth--you can use an emery board to smooth out any rough spots. Hope this helps .
I can't thank you enough for sharing your tips on this beautiful machine. I see so many of these in the thrift stores and on CL. I have passed up at least a dozen myself. It is just sad. Hopefully we can stop the perpetuation of the bad rap it keeps getting and start spreading the news about what a really great sewing machine it is.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 AM
cjr

I purchased mine in 1976 a # 778. at that time it was a top of the line model, only thing "better" was new fangled computerized model. mine has metal parts. I keep it well cleaned & oiled, and most important, dust free bobbin area. DH can not believe it works so well for how much I use it. Average 6 hrs/ day.
I have replace foot pedal as it was getting very warm, did not want a fire and replaceed rubber feed dogs with metal.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 PM

I have a 600 with cams and had a 626 that did not have cams. It did have plastic gears which we replaced fairly easily several times. I just recently gave mine to a girl who wanted to learn to sew. I'm hoping it's working fine for her. I made tons of clothes for my family with it, think I purchased it around 1964 or so. The 600 was on it's way to the dump and I rescued it. It works fine although I really haven't used it much as I have 3 other machines, one Vintage singer 201 and two Pfaff's, a 1209 which I love, and a 2034 which is newer. The 1209 sews circles around t he 2034 but I do like the needle down and slower speed option of the 2034.