Kenmore 158 trouble

Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM

I have the machine another oil bath, and checked to see if I could find anything wrong with the bobbin. I didn't find anything wrong there, but, the bobbin winder does not always want to work properly. When I get some spare time, I'll use another machine to wind another bobbin and see if that may be the issue. I really appreciate all the help!!!!

Anastasia, not sure if I need anything yet....but seeing as how things are right now, that could change. I truly appreciate the offer!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM

I read your earlier thread about this machine, and you said you got a little sloppy with the oil. I would check to see if you got any on the belt. If so, it might be slipping a bit, and would definitely act like it wasn't sewing. I would also check that the belt is not loose.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 PM

Mark, I know I did get some oil around the belt. I'll also check to see if this is further contributing to the issues. Thanks so much!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I looked at your pics again and I see some dried up oil on the needle bar. I'm wondering if dried up oil is what you are dealing with in the needle bar area above the needle and below the very top of the needle bar. Check and make sure you have dried up oil off. Pay attention to any friction points whether the machine turns there or rides through a sleeve. Then you will need to re-oil. Wilbur and I worked on an old Kenmore Monday. It was frozen up - the old oil was keeping it from moving. Once we got it moving we discovered rust in the zig zag lever control area - that won't be an easy fix. Usually we don't baptize anything but some times you just have to - it is a good idea to wipe it down later - oil will dry on there and be a pain in the neck later. Tri-flow will dry and powder off some oils dry and gum up. You may be dealing with gummy stuff. Can you shoot a pic of the needle bar behind the open nose plate?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Yes, I'll do my best to get a pic tonight, otherwise I'll get it posted tomorrow. Thank you so much for all the help!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Hi All Im the newbie. I have a kenmore #158.19142....one of Sears best, still runs great. I had to replace the drive belt and now it clicks, any suggestions. I also oiled it while I had it apart?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM

I've had all kinds of problems when my bobbin isn't wound properly. I believe your machine uses a 15 bobbin, so you ought to be able to wind a good one on one of your other machines. Also, you probably know this, but always hold the thread tails for a few stitches when you start sewing - you'll get less bird's nests. I don't know about the needle striking the plate - I have the same problem on an old Morse which is sitting in the garage until I get around to it! Maybe gummy stuff as Miriam said. Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Make sure of the direction of the bobbin. Mine goes counter clockwise.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I don't know with out looking but some times a needle will be off like that when there is a broken gear. The gear could be in the top of the machine somewhere. It would be a zz control gear. They can be replaced but you might be as well off to find a different zz machine.