Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet >

Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet

Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet

Old 01-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Found elegant "The Eldredge" in good cabinet

I haven't bought this, but the woman said that this was rarely, if ever, used by her mother, and the cabinet was been a bedside table for years. The head looks almost mint, and the decals are gorgeous. There are no attachments, and I don't know if it has a bobbin. The treadle mechanism is enclosed in an attractive cabinet. I am not a collector, but this may be too good to pass up. It's 100 miles from here. She is asking $100. Is it worth it, or am I going to go broke buying accessories if I can find them?
Pat[ATTACH=CONFIG]541383[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails eldredge.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Jump on it like a duck on a June bug.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:19 PM

I did it! This duck is going to pick it up Saturday morning. Apparently it has everything necessary and just needs some TLC, a belt, and good oil.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM

I think you got lucky, very nice looking machine and you have the extra's with it, lucky lucky you! Very pretty.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Be sure to look for needles when you pick up, and if there is one in be sure to keep it for reference. Some Eldredges use uncommon needles.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 PM

Beautiful Eldredge. With a little hunting the attachments will turn up for not too much. The Eldredge is made by National and uses 20x1 needles. You can also scoot down a 15x1. I'd make sure it has some bobbins and it's shuttle. A used or new old stock Boye #13 shuttle would run $20-$40.

Jon
Old 01-29-2016, 01:37 AM

Units in that condition is the reason I scour the e-markets every day, even though I already have more machines than I'll ever get to finish or put to use. It's rewarding to restore and salvage machines that are given up by others and picked up for free or very little. A near mint machine - and unblemished veneer and woodwork - tickles a different fancy. I think you got it cheap. Congratulations.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:04 AM

That machine is beautiful. If I were buying machines, I'd be after thata for sure, but I'm not buying machines! Congratulations on your find!

Jeanette
Old 01-29-2016, 05:52 AM

That is a nice example. You'll find that model under assorted names, so finding attachments and supplies is not that difficult (though they are only available vintage).

I love National machines, and even have one "true" Eldredge, from before they merged and formed National.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Thank you for all the kind comments and suggestions. I am taking a little checklist with me and a foot/attachment from my White FR to see if it is compatible with the Eldredge. If so, I won't have to buy more attachments. It's good to know that I can get by with 15x1 needles; I have a lot of those. I'll post some other pictures when I get her home. An interesting note, to me, anyway, is that this machine was probably made in Belvidere, IL, the same city in which my grandmother, a talented seamstress, was born.