Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
long bobbin and plates interchangeability ??? >

long bobbin and plates interchangeability ???

long bobbin and plates interchangeability ???

Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 AM

Default long bobbin and plates interchangeability ???

Hi:

I have a Singer 128. I am debating about buying a really pretty Singer 28 that has come up on Ebay. I was wondering if the long bobbins and covers would be interchangeable on the two machines?

The Singer 28 is missing the long bobbin and plate cover? It would be alot easier for me to feel comfortable buying it if I knew ahead of time that the Singer 28 would be complete till I can hunt up new long bobbins and plate cover for it.

Thanks,

Kathy
Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 AM

HI:

LOL LOL LOL
Maybe I answered my question by looking further on Ebay ... noticing that bobbins for Singer 27,28, 127 & 128 are sold in same auction lot.
But still I would love to have confirmation of the above.

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM

There is a difference in the shuttle between the newer and older, and I believe that while the older can use the new shuttle, the newer can not use the older one - it has a notch in it that the old style does not have.

Bobbins are interchangeable.

Slide plates are, sort of, but may need to be fitted as they were not exact to begin with. The employee would just grab them out of a pile until he got a good fit with that machine, so they may fit tight or loose in another machine. Especially true of older machines. A 27/127 plate is longer than a 28/128 plate.

BTW- a lot of sellers on eBay don't have a clue - I've seen them list items that are totally wrong.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
...I believe that while the older can use the new shuttle, the newer can not use the older one - it has a notch in it that the old style does not have....
Ummm....hopefully, without sounding rude and antagonistic...

Are you sure that it’s not the other way around?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 PM

CD-you are right, I can never keep that straight. So newer machines can use older shuttles, but older machines can not use newer shuttles. Though I bet one could swap carriers on an old machine so it would not need the shuttle with the notch. Though both styles of shuttles are pretty easy to get.

CD-do you know when the switch happened? I was researching about a VS2 fiddlebase (one machine I'm still looking for) and read that it needs the notch.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 PM

I bought the cover plates and bobbins from Sew-Classic.com. Get all my parts there as their prices are the best so far. Jenny there will be able to answer your questions about long bobbins and shuttles too. Good luck. MacyBaby is the best and very knowledgeable when it comes to vintage machines. She has paid her dues and knows her stuff.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 10-23-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
...CD-do you know when the switch happened?....
I don’t know if there was any certain year, but it was when Singer developed the Models 127/128 with the new shuttle eject system....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Cathy, when I get home, I'll try to remember to take a peek at Alice (my VS2 fiddlebed) and see what she uses as a shuttle. I just remember being thrilled that there -was- a shuttle with her... did you want any other pics of her for verification of various things?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 PM

Alright, I don't think my shuttle is original. It has the "wasp waist". So that would seem to indicate backward compatible but not forward compatible.

I think that I might have the right one around here somewhere though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534051[/ATTACH]

According the link above, the VS1 and 127/128 have no "hemi-circular pit" and the VS2 and the 27/28 do have the pit. That's weird that they put it in then removed it.
Attached Thumbnails img_4613.jpg   img_4614.jpg   img_4615.jpg