Look At This Singer Now

Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Default Case for HC machine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489205[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489206[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]489208[/ATTACH]Rodney, here is one I made for a 66. Used 1X3 oak from Big box home store. Outside measurements are 20'X8 3/4"X2 7/8" but you can keep it 3" so you don't have to rip down the stock. You will need 3 3/4" from the end of the End divider to have room for the HC. I just happen to find a full size bent wood singer top with hardware for a 5.00 and use this as the measurement to make sure I had room for the HC
Skip
Attached Thumbnails 66-case-hc-001.jpg   66-case-hc-002.jpg   66-case-hc-003.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM

She sure cleaned up nice.

Glad you're feeling better.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:45 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Blackberry glad your medical problems are over and you are doing well. You did a wonderful job on this machine, WOW what a difference. I give you 5 stars.
Skip

My thoughts exactly .... you turned ugly into beautiful! May you have good health from here on out so you can stitch away on that gorgeous machine.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
She's pretty now!
I haven't had a tire turn blue but I do have a couple that have softened to the point of sagging. Seems common enough that it may be worthwhile to just keep a couple extras on hand.

Sounds like you've had a rough year. I hope you're doing better now.

That wiring is definitely crispy. Looks like there may have actually been flames when it went.

How do you like it as a hand crank? I'm hoping to convert 3 of my machines to handcrank before this time next year.
Right now I have a 99, a 66 and a 27 I can use though 2 need either spoked wheels or notches cut in the existing ones. I mentioned it in another thread but right now the plan is to bring some machines to next year's fair for kids to sew on.
Also, does the handcrank fit under the lid? I'm in the process of making some cases and I need to know how much clearance I need on that end. Can you please measure how far out the hand crank sticks past the edge of the wheel when it's folded like in the last picture? It would be nice to not have to remove the crank to put the lid on.
Thanks,
Rodney
Yes, the hand crank does fit under the lid. The distance from the stop motion wheel to the end of the hand crank with the handle turned up is 2 1/2 inches. The distance from the edge of the machine to the end of the box is 4 5/8 inches. I think I will like this machine. It runs very smoothly and makes and excellent stitch. I need to get a bobbin tire to see if the winder works. Of course, I don't plan on using it very often. I actually have a couple of other hand cranks along with a treadle but I only use them occasionally. The hand cranks make my arms tired after a short while because of my RA.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Blackberry, great job on the machine.

Best wishes for your health! I think we all have those runs of having nothing but health problems. I hope you are doing well now! Best health!

Jeanette
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 PM

Glenn, beautiful job on your case.
Thank you both for the measurements. I'll doublecheck in the morning on the one I already started but I think my guess came pretty close. If not, it's not too late to re-do, or just put a non-handcrank machine in it. I have plenty of machines that need cases.
Rodney
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 PM

Glenn I went back for a closer look at yours. Nice touch on the radiused corner blocks. I like the lid you made for inside too.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 AM

Beautiful makeover.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 AM

Talk about going from a "frog" into a "princess" !! What a wonderful job you performed on that machine. Looks fabulous.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:04 AM

I am singing a little ditty from "Sweet Charity". "If they could see me now that little gang of mine..........." Good work. What a beautiful machine, now.