Look At This Singer Now

Old 08-26-2014, 11:56 AM

Default Look At This Singer Now

Back in Feb I posted about an estate sale machine that I got for $25. Here is a link to that post http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...c-t241689.html. Soon after I purchased this machine I managed to get pneumonia, 24 hour flu, diverticulitis. Then there was a colonoscopy, then since my heart paused during the procedure there was cardio testing, EKG, Echo Cardiogram and Heart Monitor and finally I was told everything was normal and I was through with doctors. Then I got back to looking into this little jewel of a machine. Here are some pictures of what I found. The rubber tire had completely softened and was a ring of bluish green gummy gook. When I removed the bobbin winder for cleaning there was quite a bit of thread wound around the wheel. On inspecting the motor I decided it was gone so I decided to turn this machine into a hand crank. I set about the usual cleaning, oiling, polishing, etc. and now have this gorgeous machine. Now for the questions: Has anyone ever had a bobbin tire soften like this? Is this motor in any way salvageable? I believe the motor must have gotten too hot and melted something onto the machine as well as into the case bottom.
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-tire-disentegrated-sticky-blue-stuff.jpg   motor-got-too-hot-melted-box-machine.jpg   dust-bunnies-under-machine.jpg   thread-wound-around-wheel-1.jpg   thread-wound-around-wheel.jpg  

motor-1.jpg   motor-2.jpg   beautiful-face-plate.jpg   beautiful-back-plate.jpg   singer-turned-into-handcrank.jpg  

Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM

Fantastic transformation. And, I'm glad to hear that the medical issues are resolved.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM

I've had bobbin winders on machines like that. A hazard of leaving a machine in a non-climate controlled area like an attic or garage where they can bake in the summers. I've never had a machine motor like that-it looks like someone tried oiling it and the oil seeped into the case?

It looks great now and glad to hear you're feeling better.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM

She's pretty now!
I haven't had a tire turn blue but I do have a couple that have softened to the point of sagging. Seems common enough that it may be worthwhile to just keep a couple extras on hand.

Sounds like you've had a rough year. I hope you're doing better now.

That wiring is definitely crispy. Looks like there may have actually been flames when it went.

How do you like it as a hand crank? I'm hoping to convert 3 of my machines to handcrank before this time next year.
Right now I have a 99, a 66 and a 27 I can use though 2 need either spoked wheels or notches cut in the existing ones. I mentioned it in another thread but right now the plan is to bring some machines to next year's fair for kids to sew on.
Also, does the handcrank fit under the lid? I'm in the process of making some cases and I need to know how much clearance I need on that end. Can you please measure how far out the hand crank sticks past the edge of the wheel when it's folded like in the last picture? It would be nice to not have to remove the crank to put the lid on.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM

That is a nice machine.

As for the melted bobbin tire and electrical wiring, yes to both. I believe it is a chemical reaction more than being in a non-climate controlled area. The wiring on my HOTHER did that and it was never outside, always in the sewing room in it's case. I've also had that happen to fountain pen bladders (ink sacks) and they never get stored outside.

The motor can be fixed, just rewire it.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 08-26-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Blackberry glad your medical problems are over and you are doing well. You did a wonderful job on this machine, WOW what a difference. I give you 5 stars.
Skip
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM

Look at the old gal now!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

That is a very impressive transformation. Glad to hear you are mended too.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
She's pretty now!
I haven't had a tire turn blue but I do have a couple that have softened to the point of sagging. Seems common enough that it may be worthwhile to just keep a couple extras on hand.

Sounds like you've had a rough year. I hope you're doing better now.

That wiring is definitely crispy. Looks like there may have actually been flames when it went.

How do you like it as a hand crank? I'm hoping to convert 3 of my machines to handcrank before this time next year.
Right now I have a 99, a 66 and a 27 I can use though 2 need either spoked wheels or notches cut in the existing ones. I mentioned it in another thread but right now the plan is to bring some machines to next year's fair for kids to sew on.
Also, does the handcrank fit under the lid? I'm in the process of making some cases and I need to know how much clearance I need on that end. Can you please measure how far out the hand crank sticks past the edge of the wheel when it's folded like in the last picture? It would be nice to not have to remove the crank to put the lid on.
Thanks,
Rodney
Rodney, some times the lid will go on and some times not. CD drills out a big honkin hole in the back end of the case. Then he covers the hole with something. I tried it and I love the results. He has a post about it somewhere...
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm making my own cases. Not as pretty as the old bentwood cases but they'll be functional, probably more like the typical cases from the 50s and 60s before they went to plastic.. If I know the clearance past the handwheel it'll be easy to add a bit more so they fit.
I haven't posted pics yet (maybe this evening) but I picked up my $5.00 Singer 66 yesterday. That's one of the ones that's getting a crank.
Rodney