Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a sewing machine - need some input

Blog Entries
    This machine is a 110 year old treadle with all the paperwork intact. It has the name "Arlington" decaled on it and looks to be in very good shape. Asking price is $100 and I'm to see it tomorrow morning. I looked it up online and could only come up with the Arlington Company who sells sewing machines but does not manufacture. Does anyone know anything at all about these machines? Will try to enclose a picture ..........
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    looks great to me!

Blog Entries
    I'd pay $100 for that machine; the cabinet is in excellent condition! It's possible that this is a Singer machine and Arlington was just how it was badged. (For example, Sears Kenmore are simply re-badged Janome machines.)

I don't know anything about that particular machine but it looks beautiful. I would pay $100 for it, appears to be in decent condition.

wow! the last thing i need is another sewing machine,but i;d buy it in a n.y.minute,[whatever that is]if for no other reason than the cabinet!.
    great find,dar

I would buy it for $100 even if it didn't work. It is beautiful and I would use it for decoration, just to look at.
    Sue

The irons (wrought iron part) look very similar to my old 1893 Standard treadle (made by Singer), and so does the 'body style'. I got mine for $30 with attachments off of Craigslist. Is the Seller flexible at all? Doesn't hurt to ask! The machine & cabinet look to be in decent shape. :)

The cabinet itself is beautiful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    The irons (wrought iron part) look very similar to my old 1893 Standard treadle (made by Singer), and so does the 'body style'. I got mine for $30 with attachments off of Craigslist. Is the Seller flexible at all? Doesn't hurt to ask! The machine & cabinet look to be in decent shape. :)
    Standard was its own company and was not affiliated with Singer at all. It was bought out by Singer in the 1930's but until then it was its own company.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Standard was its own company and was not affiliated with Singer at all. It was bought out by Singer in the 1930's but until then it was its own company.

Billy
    Sorry, I knew that. It went from Standard to Singer. I wonder if that's what happened to many of the little companies who tried to compete with them. The neat thing about my old standard is that it runs BACKWARDS compared to a normal sewing machine. It also has an attachment called a spider to allow it to chainstitch. Pretty cool. LOVE these old machines. :) They just don't make them like they used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast