Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need input on a new basic sewing machine

need input on a new basic sewing machine

Am planning to be prepared with a good sewing machine, if the Pfaff 7570 repair is too high.

Would like to gather input of basic machines that can do multiple stitches, needle down option, do piecing and regular sewing.
    I thought the Pfaff would be my last everyday sewing machine but the repair guy did not give me high hopes on the life of it now. The store does not sell machines so he does not have a motive to want me to buy from him.

Need may thoughts on machines that are available.

I've read good reviews of the EverSewn machines. Seems like there are several versions for what people need.

If you're looking for basic machine, you should check out the EverSewn machines. I've heard great things about them and they are pretty affordable. I'm sure someone else on here can tell you more.

Edit: Sorry, Nora, didn't mean to copy you. We must have been typing at the same time.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I have the Eversewn sparrow 30. It's great. Has every feature of the top of the line machines. About $400. I also have the Eversewn QE. It has a larger throat space. About $799. The QE was a gift and I was perfectly happy with the Sparrow 30. I have a Bernina and the Eversewn sews the same, very solid machine.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I've also heard good things about Eversewn, in fact I was at my local Bernina shop for service and they had all of the Eversewns on display. I wonder if it's a Bernina product? I have no idea but wondered why they displayed them but forgot to ask.
    I almost bought one but I'm glad I didn't only because the last thing I need is another sewing machine
    Be sure to let us know what you get, farmquilter.

Onebyone other than throat space is the QE and the 30 the same?

Thank you gals for the input about the Eversewn machines, a new name for me. Went to Amazon and they have them, so have one on my list.
    Am thinking to just go get my Pfaff from the store and invest in a Sparrow. The machines are in my price range and do offer a lot for the prices.
    Reviews sound like they are made by Bernina so guess that is a good thing. Also they use Pfaff bobbins, do not know about the feet but will check more reviews if possible.

The LQS here, said that a couple of the Bernina family members had a falling out, and decided to go on their own, and the Eversewn is the result. I don't know if this is a myth or truth though.

I have the Eversewn Hero, which is the one that does embroidery, and it is awesome, especially for such a reasonable price. I went with the Eversewn because I have read rave reviews about every one of their models.

I just ordered the Sparrow 30, as the Pfaff 7570 was top of the line when I bought it. It will arrive on Monday so I will get the space ready to set it all up and start playing. The Pfaff has been out of the house for 3 weeks, time to move on.

farmquilter- that's great!!
    Now it makes sense to me that my Bernina dealer had Eversewn machines. I had a hunch they may have been made by Bernina. I bet you're going to love it!
    Where did you order it from?

My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Eversewn is distributed by Brewster, made from Bernina specs. Any dealer can carry it and any quilt shop can sell it. I would buy from Amazon so there would be no hassle return if you don't bond with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    farmquilter- that's great!!
    Now it makes sense to me that my Bernina dealer had Eversewn machines. I had a hunch they may have been made by Bernina. I bet you're going to love it!
    Where did you order it from?
    Getting it from Amazon, from a dealer in TX. It pretty much has everything the Pfaff 7570 has except the on-board walking foot but it does have a thread cutter over the Pfaff. Can not wait until Monday.

Not that I “need” another maxhine���� but I have viewed the Eversewn machines at quilt shows and inline and they look great. Please come back and let us know your feeling about this machine. A mouse got into one of my Pfaff 1473 machines (I have twins) and made a nest in the harp. I was going to take it to get cleaned up and had hopes of using it’s twin as I love this model. Darn mouse chewed the plug end of the power cord so it won’t work. And no - I dint have a second power cord - or perhaps it’s misplaced����. Anyway, I might look at them them I go up,t AQS Lancaster in March. Thanks to all.

Janomes are great machines too. I would get a machine that has the needle up/down and thread cutter. If you are FMQ, you need a wider throat space. If you can find a machine with the auto foot lift, this is great for piecing. Have fun trying them out. I would look at more than one brand.

The auto thread cutter saves a lot of thread. No thread tails to cut off and waste. You will notice the difference in how much longer the bobbin lasts.

Got my Sparrow 30 at 2:50 and have already sewn the layers together on 4 burp cloths. It has the exact same needle threader as the Pfaff 7570 and love the thread cutter. Need to wind bobbins, the machine is very quiet and sews great. Need to prepare 3 more burps to sew before finishing them all with the top stitching.

Thank you ladies for telling me about this machine. I do not have any stores close to even look for something, so glad Amazon carries them.
    One happy sewer here.

So happy for you! That looks like a really nice machine. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Sew on!!!